American Crows at McIntosh Street and 7th Ave., Regina

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
      This morning on my way over to A.E.Wilson Park, I saw 4 Crows together in a tree at the above location. They appeared to be courting-cawing and posturing.

      I finally saw the over-wintering Red-tailed Hawk on Spruce Island, Wascana Lake, earlier this morning.. This bird apparently roosts at that location as it has been reported several times later in evening here.

      Did not see either Townsend's Solitaire this morning. I did see, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees, a Hairy Woodpecker, House Finches, House Sparrows, Black-billed Magpies plus a single Canada Goose during my travels.

      Enjoy your birding

    • Ryan Dudragne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
        I observed the Red-tailed Hawk in the fading minutes of the afternoon, at 17:47. It was perched conspicuously on a snag along the western side of Spruce Island. This was my first sighting of the winter also; although it has been known to be there early in the morning, my wish to be there early in the morning was not.

        Two Mallards were sitting on the edge of an open patch just north of Sruce Island.

        Best of Birding,

        Ryan Dudragne
        Regina, SK

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

        > This morning on my way over to A.E.Wilson Park, I saw 4 Crows together in a tree at the above location. They appeared to be courting-cawing and posturing.
        >
        > I finally saw the over-wintering Red-tailed Hawk on Spruce Island, Wascana Lake, earlier this morning.. This bird apparently roosts at that location as it has been reported several times later in evening here.
        >
        > Did not see either Townsend's Solitaire this morning. I did see, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatches, Black-capped Chickadees, a Hairy Woodpecker, House Finches, House Sparrows, Black-billed Magpies plus a single Canada Goose during my travels.
        >
        > Enjoy your birding
        > Bob L
        > Regina

      • skyman845
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
          I have mead a point to take the "detour" home after work. This detour takes me along the grid road to the east of the SIAST campus to rainbow bridge before I re-enter the residential area.
          over the past few days I typically see 3 birds; however, they are not always the same birds. For example yesterday right at the bridge was a pure white bird, and today it was replaced by a mostly white with some very minor black barring, the other birds have varying degress of barring, from very heavy to moderate.

          I also read today in the States where the irruption is really being noticed, that many of the birds are stressed and very under-weight.

          Greg in Regina
        • auntielyk
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
            Plus a Downy Woodpecker, Pine Siskins, a male Yellow-shafted Flicker and 4 Robins :)
            Laurie in Lakeridge
            Regina

          • tsb2001@sasktel.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 31, 2012
              Laurie
              I saw 3 YS Northern Flickers all together later as I walked east in the Quinn Drive Alley and then a Merlin.

              Enjoy your birding
              Bob