2011 Saskatchewan Year List (Final)

  • Ryan Dudragne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2012
      Fellow Birders,

      With 2012 now well underway, here is a glimpse of birding in
      Saskatchewan from yesteryear. With the addition of a few belated
      records at the end of the year we managed to reach a respectable total
      of 302 species. Not bad, considering we had a couple of misses - namely,
      Harlequin Duck, Chimney Swift, Dusky Flycatcher, MacGillivray's Warbler,
      Smith's Longspur, and Field Sparrow (no reliable record).

      We were fortunate enough to find about sixteen or so rarities, including
      one newly confirmed record for the province (Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, one
      previous sight record in 1990). These notable birds are below:

      Red-throated Loon - 03 November 2011 -- Buena Vista (LML)
      Red Phalarope - 23 May 2011 -- S. of Herbert
      Sabine's Gull - 29 September 2011 -- Buck Lake
      Lesser Black-backed Gull - 14 April 2011 -- Regina
      White-winged Dove - 23 June 2011 -- Denholm
      Red-headed Woodpecker (Jun. 16) -- Grasslands NP
      Red-bellied Woodpecker (Jan. 01); cont'd from Nov. 2010; Crooked River
      Stellar's Jay - July 2011 -- Regina
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 28 May 2011 -- Last Mtn Reg. Park
      Wood Thrush - 09 May 2011 -- Last Mtn Reg. Park
      Golden-winged Warbler - 03 June 2011 --Saskatoon
      Northern Parula - 04 June 2011 --Saskatoon
      Black-throated Blue Warbler - 08 September 2011 -- Last Mtn Reg. Park
      Townsend's Warbler - 27 August 2011 --Swift Current; Sep 15 near Hodgeville
      Summer Tanager - 16 May 2011 -- Regina; Oct. 10 N of Saskatoon
      Northern Cardinal - 24 March 2011 Prince Albert; May 21 White City; Aug.
      12 Yorkton

      Although many of the gulls and birds such as Northern Cardinal, Summer
      Tanager, and Black-throated Blue Warbler are now making annual or
      near-annual appearances, I have still chosen to include them in the
      above list. Also of worthy mention in that vein would be Thayer's Gull.
      Sadly, Red-headed Woodpecker is now considered to be rare as populations
      decline and it is no longer recorded every year.

      I would like to thank everyone for making contributions, suggestions,
      and corrections to this year list, and helping to make 2011 another very
      good year for birding in Saskatchewan.

      Once again, if I have missed any species in the list (files section of
      Saskbirds) please let me know and I will update the list accordingly.
      Ditto for any revised first dates of observation (in parentheses).
      Also, please feel free to fire off any questions or comments you might
      have ( pl8guy@... ).Otherwise this is the final edition for
      2011. Thanks again, and now onto 2012!

      Best of Birding,

      Ryan Dudragne
      Regina, SK

      _2011 Saskbirds Saskatchewan Year List_ (Final Copy)
      see FILES section of Saskbirds

      /RJMD

    • Stan Shadick
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
        Hi Ryan,

        I am not sure if I reported them to Saskbirds previously, but my Avisys
        records confirm that I saw both Dusky Flycatcher and MacGillivray's
        Warlber in the centre block of Cypress Hllls on June 14, 2011.

        Stan Shadick

      • Ryan Dudragne
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2012
          Thank you Stan, I am glad you had success in finding these species this
          year-- I was not so lucky later in the summer. I will include these
          records in the final tally.

          Ross Dickson also reports a flock of 4 Smith's Longspur at Last Mountain
          Lake NWA on Sept 10 and scattered small groups for the next few days.

          The addition of these three species brings the final tally to 305 for
          the year 2011.

          2012 list coming up by the end of the month!

          Best of Birding,

          Ryan Dudragne
          Regina, SK