Re: [Saskbirds] Re: Binoculars

  • Brenda Schmidt
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2003
      Yep, Bob covers it well. I just want to comment on Mary Ann's remark
      about making a trip to Calgary.
      After a lot of phoning around, we did make a trip to Wholesale Sports in
      Calgary several years back when we both bought binoculars just because
      they had everything we wanted to check out in stock. (Well, price too.)
      Being able to compare all the binoculars at the same time was important,
      especially for me, since a) I wear glasses and b) balance and weight is
      a concern. I think Harvey ended up buying what he thought he would, but
      the binoculars I thought I'd buy after my research were the first ones
      to be eliminated during the comparison. Of course, we tested all of them
      outside, and we took our time.
      On the other hand, our scope and tripod were both purchased by mail
      order so we could test them under different conditions. A sturdy tripod
      is so important, especially in windy conditions and uneven terrain.
      I noticed there's a big sporting goods warehouse in Saskatoon now, but I
      can't remember if it's a Wholesale Sports or one of the others...

      Brenda Schmidt
      Creighton, SK
    • el_supremo01 <el_supremo01@yahoo.co.uk>
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 7, 2003
        My thanks to all who responded. I'm still pondering the issue but now
        I have some more concrete criteria to work with.

        Best Wishes
        Pete
      • el_supremo01 <el_supremo01@yahoo.co.uk>
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 24, 2003
          Hi All,
          I picked up a pair of Pentax DCF MP 10x28 binoculars on Wednesday.
          They'll take a bit of getting used to. I stuck them in my parka
          pocket when I went for a walk this afternoon (didn't go for a walk on
          Weds or Thurs, it was too windy/cold) but the birds wouldn't
          cooperate. Just a lot of House Sparrows and one small cloud of
          Bohemian Waxwings flying by but they didn't settle where I could see
          them.

          But the day wasn't a complete bust. Apart from some House Sparrows
          and 6 Chickadees at the feeder this morning, a Downy Woodpecker also
          showed up (a LIFER!) and made my day even more exciting by chowing
          down on the suet cake I made several weeks ago. So far it has been
          back twice this afternoon so maybe it really likes my cooking.

          Thanks to all who contributed info about binoculars.

          Best Wishes
          Pete
        • Daniel Giesbrecht
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 10, 2008
            Just recently my binoculars took a spill and they got knocked out of whack so that when you try to use them your eyes go buggy because you have to cross your eyes in order to see a clear image (i think they were knocked out of alignment). Does anyone know where I can go (preferably in saskatoon) to get them fixed? Or will I just have to buy a new pair? They are Bushnell excursion 8x42 roof prism binoculars.

            Regards,

            Daniel
            Martensville, SK

          • Stan Shadick
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 10, 2008
              Daniel,

              Try phoning Cheng's Camera Repair Centre at 653-3980.
              I have no experience with them.

              Stan Shadick

              Daniel Giesbrecht wrote:
              > Just recently my binoculars took a spill and they got knocked out of whack so that when you try to use them your eyes go buggy because you have to cross your eyes in order to see a clear image (i think they were knocked out of alignment). Does anyone know where I can go (preferably in saskatoon) to get them fixed? Or will I just have to buy a new pair? They are Bushnell excursion 8x42 roof prism binoculars.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Daniel
              > Martensville, SK

            • Bruce Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 10, 2008
                At 16:48 10/06/2008, you wrote:
                >Just recently my binoculars took a spill and they got knocked out of
                >whack so that when you try to use them your eyes go buggy because
                >you have to cross your eyes in order to see a clear image (i think
                >they were knocked out of alignment). Does anyone know where I can go
                >(preferably in saskatoon) to get them fixed? Or will I just have to
                >buy a new pair? They are Bushnell excursion 8x42 roof prism binoculars.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Daniel
                >Martensville, SK

                Bushnell does have a Canadian repair centre in Richmond Hill,
                Ontario. You can contact them here

                http://tinyurl.com/4rsb86

                and information about sending for repair is here

                http://tinyurl.com/545kzw

                There is a good chance your bins are under warranty and can be
                repaired or replaced. I have dealt with them a couple of times and
                had good service from them.

                -
                Bruce Wilson
                Barrie, Ontario