Last Bird, First...

  • gwapple2001
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2011
      Fellow Birders,

      A slight correction regarding my previous post. My first winter Pied-billed Grebe was on Dec. 5th (NOT the 3rd), 1999.

      Today was recovery day. Last night the four adults went out to celebrate with a dual purpose: The Estevan CBC result, as well as Shauna and Craig's wedding anniversary. Well in truth, it was mostly to fete the latter! We had an excellent meal and followed it up with more great fun at the Boston Pizza lounge afterwards.

      Late this afternoon, after running a couple of errands, I had Craig drop me off at the west end of town. I needed to work out the last of the cobwebs from a very fuzzy evening!

      Today's temps were similar to yesterdays, but the gusty and blustery west winds made me VERY happy that we did the count when we did! Nevertheless, I did manage to find a few birds, including two each of White-breasted Nuthatch and House Finch for count period. Of course, had we spent more time in town, we probably would have added these to our list, but c'est le vie…

      On the way back to the house, my last daylight bird was a Eurasian Collared-Dove.

      I assumed my last bird of 2011 would be Canada Goose. The previous two nights, they have passed over Shauna and Craig's by the hundreds on their way south to Boundary Reservoir for the night. However, today's strong winds might have changed the flight plan, as not a single goose passed overhead. I gave up looking, and then listening at 1830 hours. So my last bird for 2011 will be ECDO!

      My last mammal for 2011 were 3 Mule Deer, which we saw late in the afternoon near Roche Percee.

      I look forward to everyone's last/first sightings tomorrow…

      HAPPY NEW YEAR

      Guy
    • Bob Parsons
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2011