Golden Crowned Kinglet ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      Tom Riffel reports a Golden Crowned Kinglet feeding upon natural suet in his
      Regina yard !! Tom studied the bird via binocs as it sampled natural suet.
      He witnessed the bird swallowing several small portions. Apparently later
      this bird also briefly checked his commercial suet mix and his hanging
      peanut feeder without feeding.

      I can't recall reading about or observing this behavior previously !?

      On another note , Ken Kopp reports a Brown Creeper is successfully wintering
      again at Tyvan. One year, we had two birds survive an entire winter at our
      feeders there.

      Brown Creepers usually feed upon natural ( salt free) crunchy peanut butter
      smeared on rough bark or nibble upon natural suet. As well, this species
      will also retrieve small morsels or crumbs on the snow under the suet
      feeder.

      This bird travels with a typical clan comprised of several Black Capped
      Chickadees, two White Breasted Nuthatches plus several Hairy and Downy
      Woodpeckers. These birds wander throughout the extensive mature shelterbelts
      surrounding the town in addition to the core area with its large American
      Elms, Ash Trees, Cottonwoods, Hybrid Poplars and numerous Box Elders. They
      come to his feeders at intervals each day.

      Good Birding !
      Bob Luterbach