Condie, Lumsden Beach & Buffalo Pound

  • jrbirdboy
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011
      Nov. 1

      Condie:
      Tree Sparrow - 1
      American Coot - 1
      Ruddy Duck - 8
      Canvasback - 6
      Western Grebe - 1
      Grey Partridge - 8
      Redhead - 2 or 3
      Canada Geese - 100+ at the east end

      Lumsden Beach: Bob L. will probably post this, I just missed seeing the Red-breasted Mergansers.

      Buffalo Pound:
      I should have scaned the south end better when I arrived but was pressed for time. There was a lot of 100s of ducks and a few swans here.
      Counting wasn't easy with the very large waves! The Western Grebes were mostly leaning forward as to be ready to travel through the cresting waves!
      Common Goldeneyes - 6-8 spread out in ones & twos
      Hooded Mergansers - 50ish one large raft of at least 35
      Buffleheads - 24ish 3-4 groups of 5-6
      Western Grebes - 12+
      Eared/Horned Grebes - 3
      Gulls - 6+ the ones I identified were Ring-billed
      Scaups/Redheads 3-4 small (12-24) and 3-4 large (100+) rafts of birds

      Hawk - 1 just west of Moose Jaw

      Nov. 2 (today)
      Home:
      Pine Grosbeaks - now increased to a total of 7
      Redpolls - As I'm posting this our apple tree was hopping full of them but I could only count 6-8 but there must be at least twice that
      Tree Sparrow - a few

      Take care

      Joel
    • tsb2001@sasktel.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2011
        Early yesterday morning, I birded the Regina Beach general area including the Trestle Bay on the west and Lumsden Beach on the East. The strong winds from the west did not create very good viewing conditions because of the resulting large waves and whitecaps. The eastern area was more protected than western areas as is typical because the lower portion of the Lake is bent somewhat like a banana which provides some protective bays away from the rough water.

        Little Arm Bay where the fjord like flooded/drowned Arm River Valley joins Last Mountain Lake had fewer birds including: 20+ Buffleheads, 13 + Hooded Mergansers and a few other species such as the very few remaining American Coots. No sign of the Glaucous Gull here or anywhere this day.

        There was a single concentrated raft of 400+ Scaup species were bouncing on the waves near Kinookimaw.

        The majority of the birds were near Lumsden Beach except for a few Western Grebes offshore near Buena Vista plus of course the foraging gulls everywhere mostly Ring-billed, a few California's and some Herring Gulls which typically gather at Buena Vista Beach on fourth street.

        Four female or hatch year Red-breasted Mergansers were fishing near the sandy spit (The only swimming beach) at Lumsden Beach. As mentioned by Joel, they disappeared somewhere not to be found again just prior to his arrival as did two Thayer's Gulls much earlier.

        These two hatch year birds, unlike the mystery larger probable juvenile Herring Gull that I attempted to make into a hatch year Thayer's Gull on the weekend, had shorter all dark bills, rosy legs and the correct primary pattern both on the underside and more importantly on top in flight. They also had a strong dark secondary bars. These rather uniform dark grey birds with paler edges on the mantle allowed close approach and were only marginally larger than the nearby California and Ring-billed Gulls for direct comparison. Only one hatch year Franklin's Gulls remains near Lumsden Beach.

        We checked the birds to the east and west of Lumsden Beach and had excellent views of two male Barrow's Goldeneyes, particularly the one to the east of the Spit. The other provided less spectacular views as we were unable to get as close as we did with the other bird.

        The BAGO were with Common Goldeneye plus some Greater Scaup, Hooded Mergansers, Ruddy Ducks, Buffleheads, Redheads and some Canvasbacks were nearby. We also saw one hatch year Surf Scoter which flew in and began foraging.

        Joel also caught a quick glimpse of a couple of redpoll species when they landed on the hiking trail. Unfortunately, they flushed prior to seeing them well enough to differentiate the species. My guess though is that they were Common's.

        Each day, that I visit Lumsden Beach, I see a couple of White-breasted Nuthatches, a Hairy Woodpecker and some Black-capped Chickadees which often forage near the Beach in the more mature trees. Typically, I hear or see Blue Jays and several Black-billed Magpies somewhere on my route.

        I saw 7 Ravens along the road during my trip to Regina Beach from the City. Later, Joel and I saw two interacting in flight near Lumsden Beach.

        Again no loons or raptor species were seen at Regina Beach locations. I did not see any hawks either during my drive to and from Regina.

        Enjoy your birding