Saturday evening

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2011
      Saturday evening we received 44 mm of sheet rain and hail in 20 minutes. A buildup of hail came around the buildings. Our front lawns are now a lake again and the dugouts running through. Around the house the lawn is covered with branches of green leaves and the garden sort of pitiful to look at :-). Anyway, after this happened the sun tried to peek through. Some House Sparrows came to the feeding area and a few of them were very bedraggled. It makes one think of how hard it must be for wildlife to find good shelter in such a situation.

      Our Purple Martins are really finishing up tutoring their young. It will soon be very quiet around here. We had probably nine families this year. Both Western and Eastern Kingbirds have their young close to the house landing on dead tree branches. As we can't manage to keep anymore, dead tree branches are our specialty - at least it's easier to see birds!! The Baltimore Orioles are also still around. Lots of Killdeer made it also. This has been a good yard-bird year with a lot of other species to enjoy besides the above.

      Val T - McTaggart