Re: Duck ID Request

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2011
      Dan and Dan,

      Thanks for the input. I looked at Masked Duck images on the web. Attractive animal. However the eye stripe there is too distinctive even on the immatures/winter birds, or at least most of the images on line. I can see 1 or 2 images that could be this duck but I think I'm stretching it. Even if I thought it was this species, I'd have to be sure the line went through the eye and that's something I didn't record in writing but I'm fairly sure the dark line did not go through the eye.

      As for being a grebe, it definately wasn't. Saw lots of grebes on this trip and it wasn't grebe shape in any way. Definately a duck. Your comment about size is interesting as the bird was smaller than the coot but the margin wasn't that great. The duck was in front of the coot which also should make the duck seem slightly larger but it was smaller. But by what margin I couldn't say. Maybe 80-85% the size of a coot?

      So the stripes were slighly less prominant than the Masked Duck but more prominant than I see on images of Ruddy Duck. I also watched the bird for some time and it never showed the stiff tail. I've seen Ruddy Ducks that don't do that and many of the photos show the tail down. If the erect tail is a display sign then this bird might not be doing it as it was the lone duck on this pond. A Badger was at its hole opening about 1 km before this pond and as I was parked watching this duck, a red fox crossed in front of me and started to walk along the side of the pond. So predators might explain why it was a lone duck. :-)

      Unless others have suggestions I'll remain conservative and say it was a Ruddy with slightly more obvious cheek marks than most.

      Kevin

      I'll remain conservative as I used to know a birder who was excellent, has published field trip guides, yet if he saw something odd like this then he would always lean to the extreme. If it was potential hybrid/colour variation or a potential old world or Asian migrant well out of its range - for him it was always the latter. In the long run it likely did him well. For while he wouldn't be right, or verified, most of the time, ever now and then he'd be right and it would be an unusual species. Of course the other side of the coin is that he knew non-American species ID marks so well that he might see things that those of us who don't review exotic field guides might miss.