Re: [Saskbirds] Sask Winter List

  • Sandy Ayer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 7, 2002
      Hi Harv,

      Please add Common Grackle to the list. I have at least one hanging out
      at a feeder on my street.

      Sandy Ayer

      H.D. Sandy Ayer (Mr.)
      Director of Library Services
      Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
      4400 4th Ave.
      Regina, Sask., Canada

      S4T 0H8

      306-545-1515
      306-545-0210 fax
      >>> hdlane@... 12/06/02 23:11 PM >>>
      Howdy,

      With a few new birds added we have upped our total to 43 species, still
      quite a ways behind Manitoba. Keep looking!

      Cheers,
      Harv

      Saskatchewan Winter Bird List 2003

      1.. American White Pelican
      2.. Tundra Swan
      3.. Canada Goose
      4.. American Wigeon
      5.. Mallard
      6.. Redhead
      7.. * Harlequin Duck
      8.. Long-tailed Duck
      9.. Common Goldeneye
      10.. Bufflehead
      11.. Hooded Merganser
      12.. Common Merganser
      13.. Ruddy Duck
      14.. Bald Eagle
      15.. Cooper's Hawk
      16.. Gyrfalcon
      17.. Sharp-tailed Grouse
      18.. Gray Partridge
      19.. Glaucous Gull
      20.. Herring Gull
      21.. Rock Dove
      22.. Great Horned Owl
      23.. Snowy Owl
      24.. Downy Woodpecker
      25.. Hairy Woodpecker
      26.. Black-backed Woodpecker
      27.. Northern Flicker
      28.. Golden-crowned Kinglet
      29.. Bohemian Waxwing
      30.. Cedar Waxwing
      31.. American Robin
      32.. Black-capped Chickadee
      33.. Red-breasted Nuthatch
      34.. Northern Shrike
      35.. Gray Jay
      36.. Blue Jay
      37.. Black-billed Magpie
      38.. Common Raven
      am.. * Black-throated Blue Warbler
      40.. Snow Bunting
      41.. House Finch
      42.. Pine Siskin
      43.. House Sparrow
    • Sandy Ayer

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
          White-breasted Nuthatch - 1 at the feeder this morning

          We had a strong wind out of the north on Friday which blew tailings from
          the towering tailings pond over Creighton. At times the visibility was
          zero. More tailings blew in on Saturday. Our snow went from white to
          brown (taupe actually, or the color of instant chocolate pudding
          powder). It was so bad that people in Flin Flon were phoning Creighton
          to see what happened, what blew up, because they couldn't see the town.
          This is a relatively new problem - at least to this extent - it happened
          for the first time last winter. The bird-related point is that yesterday
          the chickadees and the belly of the downy were also taupe colored. The
          nuthatch didn't show up on Friday or Saturday and its feathers look
          clean.

          Brenda Schmidt
          Creighton, SK