Re: Montana Bird Festival at Glasgow Montana on June 03-05, 2011.

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
      Bob,

      Have you gone to this before? If so can you give us your perspective of the event? Is it well organized? Is it too large for comfort? Are rooms readily available? Should we book now?

      I like the idea of going but the few birding events I've gone to in the past have always felt over whelming. Somehow birding on a beach with 40 other people takes away some of the intimacy of birding.

      Thanks

      Kevin

    • tsb2001@sasktel.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
        Kevin and others.

        I have never been to this event, yet. My sense is that this Festival has evolved fairly recently. I am uncertain though.

        I know the area somewhat from driving through while visiting my brother who lived in Western Montana. I have also met and birded with John and Chuck Carlson who live in the area. I believe that John is working for the Bureau of Land Management and Chuck is retired. They know the area intimately by living there for decades. They probably will be involved as guides and organizers. They are both excellent people. This is John's Blog http://prairieice.blogspot.com/ . I have both their email addresses which I can share off line.

        I think the field trips and workshops assist to introduce one to the area-habitats, geography and biology of the area. One theme will be to learn more about the challenges of managing and protecting the disappearing prairie ecosystem and its special biology. These themes also relate to our prairie landscapes which share many of the same fauna, flora and avifauna and of course similar challenges.

        If I go this year, I will arrange to attend the workshops and tours plus do some exploring later on my own. By using this strategy, you get the overall orientation from those who know the area plus can then follow your own agenda by exploring it later in a more leisurely manner.

        I do not know how many people will attend? I think info about this is more accurately obtained from the contact source: http://www.mtaudubon.org/birdwatching/festival.html

        Hope this was helpful.

        Enjoy your birding

        Have you gone to this before? If so can you give us your perspective of the event? Is it well organized? Is it too large for comfort? Are rooms readily available? Should we book now?

        I like the idea of going but the few birding events I've gone to in the past have always felt over whelming. Somehow birding on a beach with 40 other people takes away some of the intimacy of birding.

        Thanks

        Kevin

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

        > Saskbirders
        >
        > An amazing birding destination near Southern Saskatchewan is situated in neighboring Northeastern Montana near Glasgow.
        >
        > This area features many diverse prairie and shrubland landscapes, sagebrush , the Missouri River, Bowdoin National Wildlife Reserve, Charles M. Russell National Refuge, and Fort Peck Reservoir among other interesting birding locations.
        >
        > If you have never seen the declining Mountain Plover a visit to this area and Festival will provide an opportunity to see this species plus many others typical of the area.including : the Greater Sage-Grouse, Red-headed Woodpecker, Bullock's Oriole, Field Sparrow , Brewer's Sparrow and the two expected longspur species, among others.
        >
        > Check out the brochure in the link below for more details regarding :
        >
        > "Audubon's Annual Bird Festival- Wings Across the Big Sky " , which is scheduled for June 03-05, 2011, at Glasgow, Montana.
        >
        > It is apparently too early to register;however, you may wish to plan early to attend the Festival and participate in its field trips and workshops. There are contact numbers and details within the link. as well.:
        >

        > Enjoy your birding
        > Bob L
        > Regina

      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2011
          Thank you for all of that. It does sound interesting and I may go as I have no conflict for those dates. I'm just trying to clarify as my daughter and I are planning on a father/daughter 2 week road trip from here to NM/AZ in May so while I'll be back in time, have to balance the vacation time against work.

          Pesky work keeps getting in the way of productive birding. :-)