Re: Planning a Point Pelee trip

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
      As others have said, birding at Pelee is amazing and I've never been there during the major migrations. So if it's amazing during "normal" times then during migrations must be surreal.

      But I will pass on a note of caution which are TICKS. We're used to ticks here in SK but in Pelee they have at least two types including one of the tiny ones that are very hard to see. They also have two "seasons" of ticks unlike our spring one. So just be cautious and use DEET based repellents on your clothes. I tend to think of birders as being more susceptible since we look up all the time and don't think of things like ticks as we push through the undergrowth following that bird we want to see. Although I don't think that is allowed in Pt. Pelee.

      I've never been really worried about ticks and diseases but my buddy in Fort Smith got Lyme Disease from a tick bite in Alberta - the 4th case in AB - and it took him over 2 years to recover and even then not fully and will be on meds the rest of his life. Be careful.

      Kevin