Re: [Saskbirds] Moose Mountain CBC

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2011
      Great birds Val and crew. The Evening Grosbeaks in particular and American Goldfinch are good winter birds for that location. Looks as if you had a fine day.

      Enjoy your birding

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
        Thanks Bob. The Evening Grosbeak was a surprise. They are at a feeder at White Bear. We are friends with the couple. At first I was thinking a Pine Grosbeak landed when viewing through the branches but then noticed the pale yellowish bill and took a photo. Just like me to make a 'mis-diagnosis' - like last year's Spruce Grouse :-). The Ruffed Grouse was right along the road when we came from another friend's place and it was comical watching it stand by this low bush and jump up to get a berry. They don't seem to be worried about people. The Altwasser's also gave me an excellent photo of a Pileated Woodpecker that comes to their back deck. It was perched on the railing eating from a dish of peanut butter mixture. We didn't see it for the count. Two feeders have American Goldfinch.

        Our woodpeckers seem to prefer the homemade suet this year and our daughter up north says a big variety of birds are at theirs all day. No matter what recipe is given I think one can put just about any proportion of the ingredients in and have good results. We use 3 1/2 - 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of nutty peanut butter, 1 cup of cornmeal, 1 pound of lard and about 1/4 cup of sugar. I then press it into the plastic forms saved from the boughten suet and freeze. The Hairy is at the window suet at I type.

        Enjoy your day everyone.

        Val T - McTaggart

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

        > Great birds Val and crew. The Evening Grosbeaks in particular and American Goldfinch are good winter birds for that location. Looks as if you had a fine day.
        >
        > Enjoy your birding
        > Bob L
        > Regina

      • Bruce Wilson
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
          At 13:44 1/4/2011, you wrote:
          >snipped...... The Altwasser's also gave me an excellent photo of a
          >Pileated Woodpecker that comes to their back deck. It was perched on
          >the railing eating from a dish of peanut butter mixture. We didn't
          >see it for the count. snipped.....
          >Enjoy your day everyone.
          >
          >Val T - McTaggart

          Val:

          Remember if the Pileated Woodpecker has been at their feeder for the
          three days before or after the CBC it can be included as a count week
          bird. That goes for any other species they see that may not have
          been there for you to see on count day or during the count
          week. Feeder watchers are an important part of the CBC.

          Bruce Wilson
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada
          Life Member NMRA
          Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
          Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Field Ornithologists
          Ontario Bird Banding Association Brereton Field Naturalists' Club
        • Val T
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
            Thank you Bruce. I'll check with them to see if it showed up. I've already sent in the reports but a phone call could likely correct it.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
              On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!

              Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!

              Common Raven 121
              Rock Pigeons 50
              Black-billed Magpie 24
              Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
              Common Redpolls 59
              White-breasted Nuthatch 6
              Black-capped Chickadee 16
              Hairy Woodpecker 1
              Blue Jay 1 (heard)
              Snowy Owl 1
              House Sparrows 42

              Red Squirrel 3
              Muskrat 1

              The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow in a farm yard towards a dugout.

              Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by Greg B that we would hope to even see one!

              We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and House Sparrows.

              Val T - McTaggart
            • Bob Parsons
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:

                > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                >
                > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                >
                > Common Raven 121
                > Rock Pigeons 50
                > Black-billed Magpie 24
                > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                > Common Redpolls 59
                > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                > Snowy Owl 1
                > House Sparrows 42
                >
                > Red Squirrel 3
                > Muskrat 1
                >
                > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                >
                > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                >
                > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                > House Sparrows.
                >
                > Val T - McTaggart

                OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

              • Ryan Dudragne
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                  Hi Bob,

                  Moose Mountain PP is located in south-eastern Saskatchewan, approximately 60 miles east of Weyburn, ~50 miles NE of Estevan, or ~25 miles west of the Manitoba border, near the town of Carlyle.

                  Cheers,

                  Ryan Dudragne
                  Regina, SK

                  --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob Parsons <vintagebob@...> wrote:

                  > On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                  > > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                  > > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                  > > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                  > > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                  > >
                  > > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                  > > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                  > >
                  > > Common Raven 121
                  > > Rock Pigeons 50
                  > > Black-billed Magpie 24
                  > > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                  > > Common Redpolls 59
                  > > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                  > > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                  > > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                  > > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                  > > Snowy Owl 1
                  > > House Sparrows 42
                  > >
                  > > Red Squirrel 3
                  > > Muskrat 1
                  > >
                  > > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                  > > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                  > >
                  > > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                  > > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                  > > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                  > >
                  > > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                  > > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                  > > House Sparrows.
                  > >
                  > > Val T - McTaggart
                  > >

                  > OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                    And more importantly likely the best spot in the province to see tiger salamanders in the late spring and early summer. :-)

                    Biomass studies in eastern North America show that amphibians often comprise the largest source of biomass. In at least two studies the biomass of red-backed salamanders alone was greater than the biomass of the mammal and bird populations in those study areas.

                    I don't think those values hold once you leave the decidious forests of the east BUT when you go into the decidious forests of Moose Mountain you can get a touch of that when you see some of the amphibians in a good year. I remember one year counting 32-35 salamanders just walking one loop of a campground.

                    Unfortunately, warm weather or not, this is not the time to see them although it would have made for an interesting species on the CBC.

                    Kevin

                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Dudragne" <pl8guy@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Bob,
                    >
                    > Moose Mountain PP is located in south-eastern Saskatchewan, approximately 60 miles east of Weyburn, ~50 miles NE of Estevan, or ~25 miles west of the Manitoba border, near the town of Carlyle.
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    >
                    > Ryan Dudragne
                    > Regina, SK
                    >
                    > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob Parsons <vintagebob@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                    > > > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                    > > > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                    > > > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                    > > > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                    > > >
                    > > > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                    > > > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                    > > >
                    > > > Common Raven 121
                    > > > Rock Pigeons 50
                    > > > Black-billed Magpie 24
                    > > > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                    > > > Common Redpolls 59
                    > > > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                    > > > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                    > > > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                    > > > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                    > > > Snowy Owl 1
                    > > > House Sparrows 42
                    > > >
                    > > > Red Squirrel 3
                    > > > Muskrat 1
                    > > >
                    > > > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                    > > > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                    > > >
                    > > > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                    > > > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                    > > > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                    > > >
                    > > > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                    > > > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                    > > > House Sparrows.
                    > > >
                    > > > Val T - McTaggart
                    > > >

                    > > OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

                  • Val T
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
                      Hi Bob. Sorry we were unavailable for a couple of days. Moose Mountain is indeed in the SE. It's north of the Town of Carlyle and the area contained Carlyle Lake and Kenosee Lake when I grew up. We've been doing this CBC for years now.

                      Val
                    • Val T
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                        We did the annual Moose Mountain CBC yesterday. Kathy, Bob, John, Doyle and I spent eight vehicle hours counting White Bear Lake and Kenosee plus the countryside areas. It was absolutely perfect weather and we always look forward to the count.

                        We spotted 15 species all told. They are as follows in order as spotted:

                        Common Raven 28
                        Black-billed Magpie 30
                        Common Redpoll 70
                        Sharp-tailed Grouse 20
                        House Sparrow 51
                        Black-capped Chickadeee 27
                        Downy Woodpecker 1
                        Blue Jay 5
                        Pine Grosbeak 18
                        Hairy Woodpecker 1
                        Snow Bunting 3
                        Rock Pigeon 6
                        American Crow 2
                        Bohemian Waxwing 3
                        White-winged Crossbill 6

                        Fox Squirrel 1
                        Vole 1

                        We missed seeing a few sightings we were hoping to get on the count. As you can see, the mammal sightings were very low. This is likely the first year in the last 10 years we didn't see White-tailed Deer.

                        The White-winged Crossbills let their presence be known by dropping cones in a flurry onto the road right in front of our vehicle along a residential street at Kenosee.

                        Val T - MM Count Coordinator
                        McTaggart
                      • Alaina Armbruster
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                          Man, Wish i had known that there was going to be a bird count that close to me!!
                          Maybe next year I will be able to make it!

                          ALaina in Manor
                          To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com