Last and First

  • M A
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
      Our last birds of 2010.... Mine was a handsome male Downy Woodpecker on
      the 'feeder' tree in the backyard later afternoon Dec 31. Larry's last
      bird for 2010 was a Red-breasted Nuthatch partaking of the suet pieces
      and crushed peanuts on a feeder located on the same 'feeder' tree where
      I saw the DOWO -- also in the later afternoon Dec 31.

      My last mammal of 2010 was a Nuttall's Cottontail -- hanging around our
      backyard on Dec 30. Larry's last mammal of 2010 was the same Nuttall's
      Cottontail seen sometime in the past few days, also in our yard.

      Larry's first 2011 mammal was the Nuttall's Cottontail racing around the
      backyard before first light this morning (Jan 1)! By the time he called
      me and I got to the window, the Cottontail had disappeared so I'm still
      waiting for my first 2011 mammal (it will, more than likely, be the
      Nuttall's Cottontail... if I was to place a bet!)

      Both Larry and I had the same first birds of 2011 -- a flock of
      Bohemian Waxwings in the front yard Mountain Ash.

      We wish everyone all the very best in life and ever growing life lists
      in 2011... Happy New Year!!

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

      Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 12:39:35 -0600
      From: M A<dudra.m@...>
      To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com<Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com>

      Our last birds of 2008.... Mine were a flock of 150+ Rock Pigeons flying
      in the downtown area of Swift Current later in the afternoon yesterday.
      Larry's last bird of 2008 was a House Finch at our feeder late yesterday
      afternoon.

      My last mammal of 2008 were a herd of 50+ Pronghorn the early afternoon
      of December 26 (between Maple Creek and Piapot) when we were coming home
      from Calgary. Larry's last mammal of 2008 was a Mule Deer when he was
      driving home from Saskatoon on Sunday (December 28).

      Our first bird of 2009 was a male House Finch landing on our feeder in
      the front yard... followed by more of his friends and family.

      At 10:00AM, my first mammal of 2009 was a Black-phased Gray Squirrel...
      enjoying peanuts in the shell in our backyard!!!! (Larry hasn't seen
      his first furry 2009 mammal yet!!)

      As we go forth into this new year, from our house to yours, we wish you
      all the very best in 2009... good health, and many things to smile and
      laugh at (AND some lifers to add to your lists!!)

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2011
        Happy New Year all
        my first bird this year were 8 Grey Partridge in my backyard

        Greg in Regina
      • Kevin
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2012
          I spent New Year's Eve at the Crossing in Grasslands National Park so my last bird/mammal sightings of 2011 were magpie in Val Maire and a beautiful coyote sauntering across a meadow not far from the Crossing. BTW at least half the snow that was on the ground at the CBC only last week is gone. All next week is +4-5 so I suspect much more to follow. Even more open water on the river.

          I went out at 11:30 pm into the park by the Crossings just to physically be in the park as the year turned and I was hoping to hear a Great Horned Owl that had been around - one breeds usually in the trees at the Crossing. Nada. Frigging cold though. Temperature wasn't bad but the wind was high.

          So this morning I slept in a bit, watched the sunrise on a completely windless day, said my goodbyes and heading off into the park. I drove 15 minute or more, albeit a little slow before I saw my first bird: A male snowy owl on a power pole. 15 poles down the highway was a Golden Eagle. I only saw 9 bird species today in the park and on the way home. In order:

          Snowy Owl - 5 in total
          Golden Eagle - 1
          House Sparrows - 50-100 in total
          Snow Bunting - 1 for most of the day but then 20-30 near end of day
          Magpie - 10-12 in total
          Ring necked Pheasant - 2 males
          Northern Shrike - 3. One in Frenchman's Valley near where you park to walk into the hibernaculum; one on the paved road back to Val Marie and one in Cadillac's Cemetary
          Merlin - on just on edge of park
          Redpoll - about 25

          I have another bird whose call was fairly distinct but I've forgot to check to see if I can id it from call.

          Interesting that in the whole day I never saw one pigeon or raven although on the way down on the 31st I saw lots of both. But by the time I got back to Swift Current it was almost dark. Darted into the Research Centre but too dark then hoped I might see if there were any Collared Doves on Railway but didn't see any there. Also interesting that on the CBC last week I saw over 40 sharp tailed grouse but none today. I think it shows the value of snow cover for seeing galinaceous birds.

          Saw 7 mammal species today but not sure which one I should call my first sighting. Here's why...

          First mammal I saw were some of the bison. The first time I've seen bison in the park. But I personally wouldn't count then as they are corralled and managed in the park. If I can count them then could I count self-producing herds of zebras on large ranches in Texas?

          Then I went for a 2 hour walk across the main prairie dog town hoping for recent black footed ferret tracks/tunneling. Heard lots of coyotes at one time so I guess that should be my first mammal. Didn't see any for about 15 minutes and then saw about 10 more throughout the day.

          However as the coyotes were calling, a prairie dog came out of a burrow. I know they can be active in winter even though they normally aren't. And the parks folks saw fresh tracks on the CBC. So this should be the first mammal I actually saw.

          However when I got home tonight I downloaded some photos I took including some of the valley below the Crossing as the sunlight spread across it. In looking at my photos I see in one there are 2 mule deer that I didn't notice. Since I took the photo and they were in it then I guess technically I saw mule deer first even if I didn't realize it. :-) I did see many mule deer over the course of the day.

          Also saw a badger in a field about half way between Cadillac and Swift Current and then some white tailed deer in the Research Centre. Finally a Jack Rabbit in Moose Jaw when I stopped at Tim's for a coffee on the way home.

          So while numbers weren't high I'm glad I started the year off with the snowy owl since I missed them throughout the entire winter of 2011 and only added them to my 2011 list in Oct. Same with the Northern Shrike which I only added to my 2011 list during the Saskatoon CBC. The Golden eagle was a great bird to see as well this time of year. Glad I saw the badger although I'm finding they are not as difficult to see as I remember them to be - maybe I'm just getting out more. The Prairie Dog was an odd sighting but I'll see 1000's before the year is through.

          Kevin in Lumsden
        • M A
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2013
            The last bird of 2012 for me was a Red-breasted Nuthatch at a feeder in
            our backyard yesterday (Dec 31) later afternoon.

            The last mammal of 2012 for me was a Nuttall's Cottontail in our
            backyard in the late afternoon of Dec. 30.

            The last birds of 2012 for Larry was a flock of 8 House Sparrows flying
            in our backyard late yesterday afternoon.

            The last mammal of 2012 for Larry was a Nuttall's Cottontail at the
            Hazlet Regional Park while he and Ran were doing a Christmas Bird Count
            yesterday.

            The first bird of 2013 for both Larry and I was shortly after sunrise
            this morning --- a male Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker that landed in
            our backyard on our covered air conditioner to eat shelled peanuts.

            Our first mammal of 2013 for both of us was a Nuttall's Cottontail in
            our backyard.

            May your bird lists continue to expand this year, and may you enjoy good
            health and good birding throughout the upcoming year.

            Happy New Year to everyone,

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 1, 2014
              The last bird of 2013 for both of us was a House Finch at our front yard feeder.

              The last mammal of 2013 for both of us was a black-phased Eastern Gray Squirrel at our backyard squirrel feeder.

              The first bird of 2014 for both Larry and I was shortly after 9:00AM this morning --- a House Finch at our front yard feeder.

              Our first mammal of 2014 for both of us was a black-phased Eastern Gray Squirrel at our backyard squirrel feeder, followed soon after by a second one.

              May your Blessings be many, may your sorrows be few.
              Wishing good health and happiness and a Happy New Year from our house to you.
              All the best to all of you in 2014, and
              May your bird lists continue to expand this year.

              - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
              50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W

            • M A
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 1, 2015
                The last bird of 2014 for both of us was a Dark-eyed Junco eating birdseed on the ground in our backyard on December 31.

                The last mammal of 2014 for both of us was the Nuttall's Cottontail in our backyard on December 30.

                The first bird of 2015 for both Larry and I was the Red-breasted Nuthatch in the backyard.

                Our first mammal of 2015 for both of us was the Nuttall's Cottontail-- in the next door neigbhour's backyard.

                May your Blessings be many, may your sorrows be few.
                Wishing good health and happiness and a Happy New Year from our house to you.
                All the very best to all of you in 2015, and
                May your bird lists continue to expand this year.

                Happy New Year!!
                A Stastlivy Novy Rok!!
                Bonne Heureuse Année!!

                - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
                50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W

              • prairiesfranni
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 1, 2015

                  Back to you!

                  First bird of 2015  the Red-breasted Nuthatch at the same time I heard the Brown Creeper, so it's a tie.

                  Last of 2014: House Sparrows

                  Critters: last was the bunny in his hidey-hole in the front yard last night, first was the fox squirrel in the City tree out front this morning.

                  Happy New Year and all the best birding in 2015!

                  Fran K, Regina

                • bobluterbach
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 1, 2015

                    Yes Happy New Year to all !

                    Great day for a walk in Regina.

                    Last bird seen in 2014 was a female Hairy Woodpecker. (Quinn Drive Alley)

                    House Sparrrow (27) was the first species seen today closely followed by House Finch (14). Both were observed at Quinn Drive Alley.

                    A White-tailed Jackrabbit was the first mammal seen. It was at same location as above.

                    Both Fox and Gray Squirrels along with the Jackrabbit are regular mammals which occur in Wascana Parks and I think elsewhere in the City. The squirrels apparently were napping during my visit.

                    Take care

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 3
                      The last bird of 2015 for both of us were Red Crossbills at the sunflower seed feeders in our front yard December 31.

                      The last mammal of 2015 for both of us was the single Mule Deer in our front yard in the last light of the day on December 30.

                      The first bird of 2016 for both Larry and I were the Red Crossbills at the sunflower seed feeder in our front yard at first light the morning of January 01.

                      Our first mammal of 2016 for both of us (finally!!) was the Gray Squirrel running along our backyard fence a few minutes ago (January 03).

                      May your Blessings be many, may your sorrows be few.
                      Wishing good health and happiness and a Happy New Year from our house to you.
                      All the very best to all of you in 2016, and