Re: magpies

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30 11:43 AM
      Re your last statement - and aren't some trying hard to do that? :-)

      Beautiful day here, -9C but most importantly no wind. I'm thinking of putting a couple of the suet feeders on the hooks in the window where the hummingbird feeders were. At our daughter's place the Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, Black-capped Chickadees and White-breasted Nuthatches come right up to their suet feed inches from the window. Maybe the Black-billed Magpies won't venture so close to the house and I'll just toss sunflower seed for them out further.

      I think we're heading down to White Bear this afternoon in chase of the Pileated Woodpecker and maybe a Blue Jay. Should wait until tomorrow for the Christmas Bird Count but I have the pleasure of reading our granddaughter's favourite story to her grade one class in Regina. She was all excited on Sunday to tell us some partridges came into their yard (very east edge of Regina) just below the dining room window and crunched down in the snow. We will have to make sure to take up some more wheat for them this winter.

      Today a fox crossed the road just south of our place right in front of the vehicle. It is fairly tame and I believe one of the five raised along the railway track by the turnoff up our road. Whenever we picked up a dead gopher, rabbit or bird from road kill I'd stop and toss it towards the den as the mother was so skinny finding food for the five. Even bought some stewing meat once!! (don't tell Doyle) We often see one or two hunting in the fields now.

      Val T - McTaggart