American Goldfinch

  • Val T
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 9, 2010
      Day two of stay-in-hacking-away. That was okay as we were able to watch now five American Goldfinch, two Downy Woodpeckers and one Hairy on the feeders close to the dining room window.

      Val T - McTaggart
    • Nick Saunders
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
        Good morning all,

        This morning, I have a male American Goldfinch at my Niger feeder. This could be the same individual I saw a few weeks ago. Its always a treat to see a Yellow bird at this time of year, even its a dull yellow!

        I still have daily visits from at least 4 Flicker's, sometimes all 4 at once , 4-6 Blue Jays, Common Redpolls, and both types of Crossbill were in my White Spruce yesterday afternoon. Its been a great winter for them.

        I've also had a Common Raven stop by for a look around , the Sharp-shinned Hawk back at the pond, and as Frank Roy can attest, several hundred Bohemian Waxwings in my backyard last week.

        Its nice to walk home from work in the mornings and hear the Chickadees singing and the Nuthatches honking....soon, the sounds of crows and robins will join in with the morning chorus.

        Cheers,

        Nick

        S'toon

      • Nick Saunders
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 24, 2013
          Greetings folks,

          This morning, the wayward American Goldfinch joined the 14 Common, and 1 Hoary Redpolls at the feeders.
          This is now the third time I have seen him in the yard.

          Yesterday a Merlin shot over the yard.

          Cheers,

          Nick

          S'toon

        • Nick Saunders
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 27, 2014
            Good morning all,

            I just had 3 American Goldfinch stop by the backyard for a drink. These are probably the same one's I've had on and off since November.

            I also saw a Magpie take a frozen House Sparrow from the yard,

            Cheers,

            Nick

            S'toon
          • Nick Saunders
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 29, 2014
              Good morning,

              My Goldfinch tally has increased from 2 birds to 6. I'm thinking the others have been close-by, but have stayed relatively hidden from view the last few times I was keeping an eye on the feeders. Either that, or they are visiting another yard with even more shelter and go back and forth between our two yards. Right now, these little guys are enjoying a daily drink from the heated water.

              Cheers,

              Nick

              S'toon