Sunday Birding

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2010
      Morning Birders:

      Rough-legged Hawks were/are moving through my area. Yesterday I saw at least 8, some of which will likely stay for the Winter.

      There are 10,000s of Snow Geese here. One huge flock was feeding pretty much on the Cdn/US border north of Crosby,ND

      Also, Canada, Cackling and Greater White-fronted Geese in small flocks

      Rafferty continues to be populated by Ruddy Ducks now with small numbers of American Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Hooded Mergansers, Bufflehead, Gadwalls, American Wigeon, Mallards, Northern Shovellers, Canvasbacks and Redheads.

      I found a few Lesser Scaups and Ring-necked Ducks at Wood-End (Boundary reservoir)

      Also:
      Great Blue Heron (1)
      Ring-necked Pheasants (38-40)
      Sharp-tailed Grouse (3)
      Western Meadowlarks
      Lapland Longspurs
      Dark-eyed Juncos
      European Starlings
      Northern Harriers
      Black-billed Magpie

      4 Muskrats, 1 coyote and a cattle drive of a couple hundred cows and calves.

      In my yard: All the regulars, plus Pine Siskins have arrived; a few Am. Robins remain as does the Fox Sparrow.

      Kathy in Estevan
      http://stilllifewithbirder.blogspot.com/

    • Kathy Hedegard
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 14, 2010
        It was a super day for Rough-legged Hawks. I saw 18 of them in 2 1/2 hours of driving what is basically our CBC route. The first three were all dark-morphs, the first was the same one I saw yesterday (same location). The other two darks were in the same general area; they were only a kilometer or so apart too.

        The last seven Roughies were spotted while driving a 1.5 km stretch of road east of Estevan.

        Also:
        Bald Eagles at Boundary, 5 of which 2 were adults
        Ring-necked Pheasants, 23-24
        Sharp-tailed Grouse, 6
        Great Blue Heron, 1
        Common Loon, 1 juv
        Common Goldeneye, 5-6 - first of the Fall/Winter
        Northern Shovellers, 10+
        Lesser Scaups, 6
        Hooded Mergansers, 2
        Canada, Cackling and Snow Geese
        American Robins, 2
        Other species I've listed in the past few trips

        Muskrats, 4
        Mule Deer, 4

        All the same birds are here in the yard.

      • tsb2001@sasktel.net
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 16 7:02 AM
          Sunday morning Jim Cummings and I checked # 99, Valeport, Lumsden Beach, Regina Beach and returned via Condie Reservoir.

          Some of the species observed included:

          1 Osprey flying along river channel past Craven.

          1 Swainson's Hawk at Regina Beach.

          5 Red-tailed Hawks

          4 American Kestrel along # 99.

          4 Greater Yellowlegs at # 99 and #6

          150+- Tundra Swans at Valeport

          1 Western Grebe at Valeport.

          10+ Horned Grebes at Little Arm

          17 courting Red-breasted Mergansers at Little Arm/Trestle Bay

          1 Common Merganser at Trestle Bay.

          700+- Scaup species including at least 8 Greater Scaup.

          !00's of Canvasbacks, fewer Redheads,

          1 Ruddy Duck at Valeport.

          30+ Green-winged Teals along # 99.

          1 male Eastern Bluebird near Lumsden. Great looks at bird sitting in tree near roadside. No Mountain Bluebirds observed all day !

          Plus of course many other species.

          Enjoy your birding

        • Kathy H
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 22, 2012
            Hi Birders:

            This morning I went driving around the area between Estevan – Benson – Lampman. That’s NE of Estevan, not too far east off Hwy #47. We had storms around this area last night. Tornado Hunter, Greg Johnson and his crew were in the region. Fortunately, no tornadoes and no hail.

            There is still so much water around here from all the flooding last year. Some roads are still closed. Great for marsh birding though. I had collected 40 species before getting 25 kms from town. There’s so much going on with shore birds gathering, water fowl ushering their broods around, everything else busy feeding their young or hovering nearby as the young ones learn to find their own food. Very interesting time of the year.

            I had a 60+ species day overall with the best finds of the day being:

            10-11 Cattle Egrets, yes with a small herd of cattle.
            2 adult Black-crowned Night-Herons
            75+ Long-billed Dowitchers
            Least, Semipalmated, Stilt, Pectoral and Upland Sandpipers
            Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs – there are hundreds (and hundreds) of Lessers
            3 Snow Geese, 2 were dark phase adults; 1 looked like a light phase juvenile. It was closely following a dark adult, looked smaller (was a Snow Goose, not a Ross’s)
            Turkey Vulture
            Brown Thrasher, carrying some insects in its bill
            Baird’s Sparrows
            And more Dickcissels.

            Also a White-tailed Deer doe & fawn

            Kathy in Estevan

          • Val T
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 23, 2012
              That crew were in this area as well. Guess a tornado touched down by Yellow Grass. Our daughter in Regina phoned, concerned about us - news reaches Facebook very quickly! We were out looking at the extremely active clouds and did see a couple of funnel shapes darting in and out of the clouds but not coming down too far. Whenever the rain lets up the Purple Martins are out there soaring in full fledge.

              We can hear the Warbling Vireo behind the barn once in a while. It's not as vocal as ones some other years. Killdeer have grown now and are able to get out of the way of traffic and so have the Upland Sandpipers. They are so cute when they are small.

              Looks like a good birding day if anyone is able to take it in.

              Val T - McTaggart

            • tsb2001@sasktel.net
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 4, 2012
                During the afternoon, I checked Condie Reservoir and several locations at Last Mountain Lake near Regina Beach and east. The extremely icy roads created by the rain of last night did not permit me to travel to this location until near noon. I did not search west of Regina Beach. today. Yesterday, I walked from Regina Beach to Trestle Bay. The heavily rutted 'road 'to Trestle Bay is impassable when wet. It was foggy most of the day and windy at times. Viewing conditions were difficult.

                I also briefly searched the Craven area checking the traditional Golden Eagle roost location. This species seems to be a winter regular here in this area either in the Qu'Appelle Valley proper or in the nearby Flying Creek Valley. The often favoured late fall or winter roosting location is on a large
                "H" shaped power structure at the top of the North Valley Slope where north/south high voltage line crosses # 99. It was not present today though and has not been reported yet this Fall to my knowledge. If present it is best seen early on clear days perhaps taking some sun. Unfortunately, the weather conditions of today were not ideal. :-(

                Here are some sightings noted during my travels.

                25+ American Tree Sparrows in a single flock foraging at roadside along # 99 on the eastern outskirts of Craven. These were the only birds of this species seen today.

                1 Greater Yellowlegs continues at Condie Reservoir. It seems healthy both flying well and regularly calling.

                2 Wilson's Snipe flushed from south side of Condie R. (Fran Kerbs mentioned seeing some unidentified shorebirds at this location last Sunday.)

                1 American White Pelican continues at Condie R. It was flying well circling the open water on one occasion.

                2 Rusty Blackbirds were observed at Condie R. patrolling the edge of the water near the pumphouse with another all dark bird which may be the Common Grackle seen yesterday. I did not get good enough views to confirm.

                The Starling flock continues along with today 1 American Robin. These birds are foraging on the well provisioned abundant Russian Olive Trees.

                The male White-winged Scoter continued all afternoon at Buena Vista either at the 4th Street Boat Launch or just further east immediately offshore at Buena Vista Beach. It was with a female or juvenile bird. Both were very successful obtaining crayfish during the interval they were observed.

                The juvenile/female Surf Scoter was at the same location as yesterday also obtaining crayfish very near the shore in the first bay east of the Regina Beach Boat Launch.

                I counted 26 Red-breasted Mergansers today in a single flock east of Regina Beach.

                11 Common Mergansers were offshore at Lumsden Beach.

                120+ Hooded Mergansers were foraging both in the bays east from Buena Vista and at Lumsden Beach. The largest numbers were at Lumsden Beach along or near the edge of the advancing ice. Yesterday, the 'ice' edge was at Buena Vista. However, it was mostly packed snow slush. Today, the edge was pushed back to just east of Lumsden Beach by the wave action created by the moderate north-western winds.

                No loons and fewer grebes seen today.

                Enjoy your birding

              • lilliankaye@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                  Am pleased at the details in your messages Bob; the Golden Eagle roost location is appreciated. Will watch for that... dragging the "little man" down to "street level" on google maps indicates the "H" power lines are approx 3 km E of Craven on hwy 99 (or as far as the map allows one to view on that road, and looking N).

                  VERY pleased to hear those 2 birds on the S shore of Condie are Wilson's Snipes, one flew out from the S shore a few hundred feet E of the 2nd one and checking my guide books... yep! that's what I had seen.

                  Hoping for good weather this week.

                  Fran K in Regina.