Backyard latest - Saskatoon

  • nikovich71
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
      Well, now its starting to feel a little bit more nippy out there, especially this morning it seems !
      Yesterday, the House Sparrows helped me finish of a 5lb bag of Sunflower Seed, while leaving the occasional morsel for the 14 House Finch, 2 RB Nuthatch , 2 DE Junco's and many BC Chickadees.

      At least 2 Golden-crowned Kinglet's remain in and around the yard. This morning they were calling to each other from one of the White Spruce trees we have in the front. A male and a female.

      We also have a female Northern Flicker, 4 Magpies and 4 Blue Jays.

      This morning I heard the alarm call of a Robin, and yesterday a small flock of Common Redpolls were in the area.

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Saskatoon

      http://saskbirder.com
    • nikovich71
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
        The Northern Shrike just made another brief appearance in the yard ( if indeed it is the same one ) as well as a Merlin surveying the feeders from atop a nearby power pole.
        Looks like the little birds will have to keep their wits about them!

        Nick

        S'toon
      • nikovich71
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2010
          I also forgot to add, that a House Sparrow succumbed to the bad weather last night and had died near a log feeder I had made.
          It wasn't long before one of the Magpies whisked it away to have breakfast.

          Nick