Partridges and pear trees.

  • micknsharon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      I really do feel its too early to be getting into Christmas songs
      but all this snow before the end of October would certainly be a
      shock for our friends in Surrey.

      Yestrday at about 9:30 there was a covey of 9 Grey Partridge at the
      eastern end of University Bridge, not a pear tree in site.

      Today just after noon we took a drive around the Forestry Farm which
      is undergoing a great deal of disturbance while being transformed
      into the "Enchanted Forest". There really is a great deal of iron
      work being erected bedecked with lights, so there really is a
      partridge in a pear tree. To my delight, this does not seem to have
      put the birds off. The birds were pretty active and the numbers
      quoted are minimums.
      American Robin 10
      Northern Flicker (yellow shafted) 4
      White-throated Sparrow 2
      Blue Jay 2
      Black-billed Magpie, several.
      Black-capped Chickadee 6
      House Sparrow, not counted.
      Canada Goose 300, in field just outside northern perimeter fence.

      Seen over NE corner of city 6 Ravens, seeming to be playing on the
      air currents tumbling and diving....they really did look like they
      were doing this for the pleasure of it.....sorry if this is not very
      scientific!

      Not seen anybody mention Redpolls yet, I thought theses early snows
      would have brought them in early.

      Cheers
      Mick
      Saskatoon.