Poor Harriet!

  • prairieval
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2002
      That was a cute Christmas tune Harv! Alas the 'two Hairy Woodpeckers'
      line has to be changed to one Hairy. Around 3:00 p.m. Doyle called
      out a woodpecker had hit the south living room window. On my way there
      I looked out the north dining room window and, hopeful, said the Downy
      was on the poplar tree and perhaps it was just stunned and survived.
      Doyle went out to check, crawling into the juniper bushes, and came
      out with a dead female Hairy Woodpecker. We both felt so badly as the
      two Hairys plus the Downy have been around here for a long time.

      Anyway, a phone call was made to Regina and Harriet is now in the
      freezer at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. They seem to think she is
      in good shape (for a dead bird). What happens now? Do they determine
      if it is to be prepared for a museum?

      Val and Doyle
    • Martin Bailey
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2002
        > Anyway, a phone call was made to Regina and Harriet is now in the
        > freezer at the Royal Saskatchewan Museum. They seem to think she is
        > in good shape (for a dead bird). What happens now? Do they determine
        > if it is to be prepared for a museum?
        >
        > Val and Doyle

        Get in touch with Glen Sutter at gsutter@...
        He is the museum's ornithologist.