Re: Moose Mountain CBC

  • nikovich71
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
      Thanks for the post Val. Your mystery animal sounds like it might have been a Woodchuck..although they should be hibernating now..

      Cheers,
      Nick
    • Bluebird
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 6, 2010
        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Val T" <val_doyle_thomas@...> wrote:

        > Today Kathy Hedegard, Bob Cameron, Doyle and I did the Moose Mountain Provincial Park CBC. It was overcast but quite a nice day temperature-wise. It started snowing and gusting a bit in the afternoon. Following are the bird and mammal species recorded.
        >
        > Birds - 16 species
        >
        > Common Ravens 53
        > Black-billed Magpies 34
        > Sharp-tailed Grouse 29
        > Snow Buntings 40
        > Rock Pigeons 30
        > Black-capped Chickadees 27
        > Hairy Woodpecker 1
        > American Robins 3
        > American Goldfinches 20
        > Northern Flicker YS 1
        > Pine Siskins 40
        > Blue Jay 1
        > House Sparrows 48
        > White-breasted Nuthatch 1
        > Red-breasted Nuthatch 1
        > Pileated Woodpecker 1
        >
        > Our mammal species included:
        >
        > Fox 2 (laying on top of a snowbank which housed their den)
        > Coyote 1
        > Red Squirrel 3
        > White-tailed Deer 2
        > Moose 2
        > Unidentified 1 (Kathy and I saw this short-legged mammal at the nuisance ground. It bounded probably 6-8 times across the snow and disappeared under two pieces of machinery. Kathy walked all around the machinery and looked in crevices but it didn't emerge. We have different opinions as to what we saw :-) )
        >
        > It was a really enjoyable outing for me. Thanks Kathy, Bob and Doyle.
        >
        > Val T - McTaggart

        Did you consider a Norway Rat in that area?
      • Val T
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2011
          Today the Moose Mountain CBC was undertaken. This is about 1 1/2 hours from our place and at what was formerly known as Carlyle Lake/Kenosee Lake but now White Bear Lake/Kenosee. We had blustery conditions on the drive down and when getting there the sun came out and it was a perfect day. We managed 13 species, missing three or four that usually appear.

          I have to mention that Black-capped Chickadees were literally everywhere and it was hard to count them...probably a little under estimated on the actual numbers.

          Ruffed Grouse 1
          Sharp-tailed Grouse 28
          Downy Woodpecker 8
          Hairy Woodpecker 6
          Blue Jay 4
          Black-billed Magpie 26
          Common Raven 24
          Black-capped Chickadee 55
          White-breasted Nuthatch 3
          Common Redpoll 8
          American Goldfinch 2
          Evening Grosbeak 2
          House Sparrow 54

          Jack Rabbit - lots of tracks
          Red Squirrel - 3
          White-tailed Deer - 6
          Moose - 1 (Cow Moose)

          We had a fun day.

          Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
        • tsb2001@sasktel.net
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2011
            Great birds Val and crew. The Evening Grosbeaks in particular and American Goldfinch are good winter birds for that location. Looks as if you had a fine day.

            Enjoy your birding

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
              Thanks Bob. The Evening Grosbeak was a surprise. They are at a feeder at White Bear. We are friends with the couple. At first I was thinking a Pine Grosbeak landed when viewing through the branches but then noticed the pale yellowish bill and took a photo. Just like me to make a 'mis-diagnosis' - like last year's Spruce Grouse :-). The Ruffed Grouse was right along the road when we came from another friend's place and it was comical watching it stand by this low bush and jump up to get a berry. They don't seem to be worried about people. The Altwasser's also gave me an excellent photo of a Pileated Woodpecker that comes to their back deck. It was perched on the railing eating from a dish of peanut butter mixture. We didn't see it for the count. Two feeders have American Goldfinch.

              Our woodpeckers seem to prefer the homemade suet this year and our daughter up north says a big variety of birds are at theirs all day. No matter what recipe is given I think one can put just about any proportion of the ingredients in and have good results. We use 3 1/2 - 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of nutty peanut butter, 1 cup of cornmeal, 1 pound of lard and about 1/4 cup of sugar. I then press it into the plastic forms saved from the boughten suet and freeze. The Hairy is at the window suet at I type.

              Enjoy your day everyone.

              Val T - McTaggart

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, tsb2001@... wrote:

              > Great birds Val and crew. The Evening Grosbeaks in particular and American Goldfinch are good winter birds for that location. Looks as if you had a fine day.
              >
              > Enjoy your birding
              > Bob L
              > Regina

            • Bruce Wilson
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
                At 13:44 1/4/2011, you wrote:
                >snipped...... The Altwasser's also gave me an excellent photo of a
                >Pileated Woodpecker that comes to their back deck. It was perched on
                >the railing eating from a dish of peanut butter mixture. We didn't
                >see it for the count. snipped.....
                >Enjoy your day everyone.
                >
                >Val T - McTaggart

                Val:

                Remember if the Pileated Woodpecker has been at their feeder for the
                three days before or after the CBC it can be included as a count week
                bird. That goes for any other species they see that may not have
                been there for you to see on count day or during the count
                week. Feeder watchers are an important part of the CBC.

                Bruce Wilson
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada
                Life Member NMRA
                Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mmNGA
                Member Bird Studies Canada Ontario Field Ornithologists
                Ontario Bird Banding Association Brereton Field Naturalists' Club
              • Val T
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2011
                  Thank you Bruce. I'll check with them to see if it showed up. I've already sent in the reports but a phone call could likely correct it.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                    On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!

                    Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!

                    Common Raven 121
                    Rock Pigeons 50
                    Black-billed Magpie 24
                    Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                    Common Redpolls 59
                    White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                    Black-capped Chickadee 16
                    Hairy Woodpecker 1
                    Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                    Snowy Owl 1
                    House Sparrows 42

                    Red Squirrel 3
                    Muskrat 1

                    The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow in a farm yard towards a dugout.

                    Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by Greg B that we would hope to even see one!

                    We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and House Sparrows.

                    Val T - McTaggart
                  • Bob Parsons
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                      On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:

                      > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                      > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                      > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                      > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                      > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                      >
                      > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                      > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                      >
                      > Common Raven 121
                      > Rock Pigeons 50
                      > Black-billed Magpie 24
                      > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                      > Common Redpolls 59
                      > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                      > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                      > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                      > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                      > Snowy Owl 1
                      > House Sparrows 42
                      >
                      > Red Squirrel 3
                      > Muskrat 1
                      >
                      > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                      > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                      >
                      > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                      > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                      > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                      >
                      > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                      > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                      > House Sparrows.
                      >
                      > Val T - McTaggart

                      OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

                    • Ryan Dudragne
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 5, 2012
                        Hi Bob,

                        Moose Mountain PP is located in south-eastern Saskatchewan, approximately 60 miles east of Weyburn, ~50 miles NE of Estevan, or ~25 miles west of the Manitoba border, near the town of Carlyle.

                        Cheers,

                        Ryan Dudragne
                        Regina, SK

                        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob Parsons <vintagebob@...> wrote:

                        > On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:
                        > >
                        > > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                        > > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                        > > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                        > > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                        > > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                        > >
                        > > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                        > > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                        > >
                        > > Common Raven 121
                        > > Rock Pigeons 50
                        > > Black-billed Magpie 24
                        > > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                        > > Common Redpolls 59
                        > > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                        > > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                        > > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                        > > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                        > > Snowy Owl 1
                        > > House Sparrows 42
                        > >
                        > > Red Squirrel 3
                        > > Muskrat 1
                        > >
                        > > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                        > > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                        > >
                        > > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                        > > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                        > > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                        > >
                        > > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                        > > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                        > > House Sparrows.
                        > >
                        > > Val T - McTaggart
                        > >

                        > OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

                      • Kevin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 6, 2012
                          And more importantly likely the best spot in the province to see tiger salamanders in the late spring and early summer. :-)

                          Biomass studies in eastern North America show that amphibians often comprise the largest source of biomass. In at least two studies the biomass of red-backed salamanders alone was greater than the biomass of the mammal and bird populations in those study areas.

                          I don't think those values hold once you leave the decidious forests of the east BUT when you go into the decidious forests of Moose Mountain you can get a touch of that when you see some of the amphibians in a good year. I remember one year counting 32-35 salamanders just walking one loop of a campground.

                          Unfortunately, warm weather or not, this is not the time to see them although it would have made for an interesting species on the CBC.

                          Kevin

                          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Dudragne" <pl8guy@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Bob,
                          >
                          > Moose Mountain PP is located in south-eastern Saskatchewan, approximately 60 miles east of Weyburn, ~50 miles NE of Estevan, or ~25 miles west of the Manitoba border, near the town of Carlyle.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Ryan Dudragne
                          > Regina, SK
                          >
                          > --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob Parsons <vintagebob@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 05/01/2012 7:15 PM, Val T wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > On Tuesday, January 3rd, Kathy H, Bob C, Doyle and I did the Moose
                          > > > Mountain CBC. It was a gorgeous above-zero day for temp albeit a big
                          > > > tad windy. I sort of find the counts seem to be better on colder days
                          > > > with more snow around in this area. We were surprised to see a stream
                          > > > flowing fully into Kenosee Lake in January!
                          > > >
                          > > > Anyway, we saw 11 species with Ruffed Grouse, Pileated Woodpecker and
                          > > > Bohemian Waxwings missing but we kept hoping right to the end!!
                          > > >
                          > > > Common Raven 121
                          > > > Rock Pigeons 50
                          > > > Black-billed Magpie 24
                          > > > Sharp-tailed Grouse 2
                          > > > Common Redpolls 59
                          > > > White-breasted Nuthatch 6
                          > > > Black-capped Chickadee 16
                          > > > Hairy Woodpecker 1
                          > > > Blue Jay 1 (heard)
                          > > > Snowy Owl 1
                          > > > House Sparrows 42
                          > > >
                          > > > Red Squirrel 3
                          > > > Muskrat 1
                          > > >
                          > > > The muskrat was along the roadside and then scrambled across the snow
                          > > > in a farm yard towards a dugout.
                          > > >
                          > > > Common Ravens are absolutely everywhere down there now. It doesn't
                          > > > seem that many years ago when I used to tag along on the count led by
                          > > > Greg B that we would hope to even see one!
                          > > >
                          > > > We had 12 Common Redpolls at our feeders today and two Dark-eyed
                          > > > Juncos as well as a Downy Woodpecker, five Black-billed Magpies and
                          > > > House Sparrows.
                          > > >
                          > > > Val T - McTaggart
                          > > >

                          > > OK, so where is Moose Mtn?

                        • Val T
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 9, 2012
                            Hi Bob. Sorry we were unavailable for a couple of days. Moose Mountain is indeed in the SE. It's north of the Town of Carlyle and the area contained Carlyle Lake and Kenosee Lake when I grew up. We've been doing this CBC for years now.

                            Val
                          • Val T
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                              We did the annual Moose Mountain CBC yesterday. Kathy, Bob, John, Doyle and I spent eight vehicle hours counting White Bear Lake and Kenosee plus the countryside areas. It was absolutely perfect weather and we always look forward to the count.

                              We spotted 15 species all told. They are as follows in order as spotted:

                              Common Raven 28
                              Black-billed Magpie 30
                              Common Redpoll 70
                              Sharp-tailed Grouse 20
                              House Sparrow 51
                              Black-capped Chickadeee 27
                              Downy Woodpecker 1
                              Blue Jay 5
                              Pine Grosbeak 18
                              Hairy Woodpecker 1
                              Snow Bunting 3
                              Rock Pigeon 6
                              American Crow 2
                              Bohemian Waxwing 3
                              White-winged Crossbill 6

                              Fox Squirrel 1
                              Vole 1

                              We missed seeing a few sightings we were hoping to get on the count. As you can see, the mammal sightings were very low. This is likely the first year in the last 10 years we didn't see White-tailed Deer.

                              The White-winged Crossbills let their presence be known by dropping cones in a flurry onto the road right in front of our vehicle along a residential street at Kenosee.

                              Val T - MM Count Coordinator
                              McTaggart
                            • Alaina Armbruster
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 4, 2013
                                Man, Wish i had known that there was going to be a bird count that close to me!!
                                Maybe next year I will be able to make it!

                                ALaina in Manor
                                To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com