Lapland Longspurs

  • ValandDoyleT
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      A small flock of Lapland Longspurs is along the road just north of our place.

      Val T - McTaggart
    • Kathy Hedegard
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2010
        Hi Birders:

        It was a chilly, windy but still sunny day down here in the SE Corner.

        Sandhill Cranes were on the move; some stopping here but many taking advantage of the WNW wings. I saw quite a few flocks, flying very high.

        I also saw two unidentified raptors, flying below the cranes but still very high.

        There's a large slough south-east of the town of Torquay where some 150 Tundra Swans are resting. Along with them are several hundred ducks - mostly Mallards, with American Wigeons, Canvasbacks, Redheads, a few Scaups, Northern Pintails. There's a few hundred Snow Geese at this slough as well.

        There were 4 Wilson's Snipes and 2 Greater Yellowlegs at the Mainprize Bridge on Rafferty Reservoir.

        Mostly, though, the area is swarming with Lapland Longspurs. Thousands of them.

        Kathy in Estevan
        http://stilllifewithbirder.blogspot.com/

      • Val T
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5, 2012
          We are seeing many more smaller flocks of Lapland Longspurs on our country road travels. Yesterday there were also about 25 American Robins in our yard. Usually only a couple of pairs stay around for the season. We decided to go see Frank Switzer's slide presentation on birds at a Regina library. He is a very down-to-earth guy and presenter. His photos were great to help newer birders along and some showed us differences in male and female species. We enjoyed it. Two gals rudely thought it was okay to whisper to each other through the whole presentation which makes it hard for me to concentrate on what he is saying as I have a hearing loss in one ear. Why bother to go if they aren't going to listen!! Anyway....spout, spout, spout.

          We have a pair of Mallards that seem to be sticking around and also a pair of Canada Geese and Red-winged Blackbirds. European Starlings have taken up residence in our quonset.

          Val T - McTaggart
        • valndoyle
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 21, 2014
            We just passed tithe red barn with two fir trees along No.6 highway. In the field north of the barn were thousands of Lapland Lingspurs flying about. Val T - McTaggart
          • valndoyle
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2014
              Along the road south of our farm by McTaggart a small flock of Lapland Longspurs flew up on December 1st. We also saw a flock north of Corrine in the 'red barn' area on the east side of the highway.

              Val Thomas, McTaggart