Winter List

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
      Morning Birders:

      I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I guess it starts today if we do - right?

      It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker

      I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.

      Kathy in Estevan

    • Ryan Dudragne
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
        You guessed it, Kathy! Welcome to December, may the winter listing
        games begin!

        I have slipped a bit on the year list this year (long awaited update to
        come), but that will be remedied shortly. In the mean time, while it
        may not feel like winter for everyone in the province yet with a mixture
        of brown and white across the province, 'tis the season for the birder's
        winter bird list. This runs from December 1st to February 28th.

        As per traditional winter bird listing rules observed across this great
        country (and beyond), the goal is to tally as many species as possible,
        and trying to squeeze in as many late migrants as we can find to give a
        well padded total at the end, and hopefully beat the previous season's
        total (eventually 113 were reported). Our long-term average (since
        01/02) is 111.7 species (SE = 1.35).

        [Any word on the Yellow-throated Warbler and Baltimore Oriole in Moose
        Jaw?? How about the Golden-crowned Sparrow in Cypress Hills?]

        A couple of simple courtesies exist to keep the listing fair and
        hopefully fun for everyone during the coldest and least "birdy" time of
        the year:

        -All reports are welcome; everyone is encouraged to put forth their
        sightings, as well as reliable ones that you may hear about.
        -The sooner reported, the better (although I certainly know that life
        can get in the way at times!), and the sooner they can be added to the list.
        -While unrelated, Christmas Bird Count summaries are great to read, and
        often turn up interesting birds and exciting additions.
        -Dress for the weather and stay safe on the roads!

        I will be updating the winter list on Saskbirds with moderate frequency
        especially for the first couple of weeks. As winter progresses,
        however, new species become increasingly difficult to find, and updates
        will be reduced accordingly. Look forward to the first update on either
        December 2nd or 3rd. This and subsequent updates will be titled "Winter
        Bird List 2009/2010).

        And once again , Blake Maybank will be hosting our list on his site as
        well as winter lists from every other Canadian Province, St. Pierre &
        Michelon (FR), and Iceland. These may be found here:
        http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/skwinter.htm

        Best of Birding,

        Ryan Dudragne
        Saskatoon, SK

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

        > Morning Birders:
        >
        > I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I
        guess it starts today if we do - right?

        > It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are
        Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker

        > I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They
        don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this
        curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.

        > Kathy in Estevan

      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
          Thanks for reminding those of us who don't think of which day things start on!! I guess we can add our quonset residents - 3 European Starlings.

          Val T - McTaggart

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

          > Morning Birders:
          >
          > I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I guess it starts today if we do - right?
          >
          > It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker
          >
          > I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.
          >
          > Kathy in Estevan

        • ChrisB
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
            Add about 10 ravens, a hairy woodpecker and some pine siskins. Hope I haven't repeated any!

            Christine
            Yorkton, Sk

            You guessed it, Kathy! Welcome to December, may the winter listing
            games begin!

            I have slipped a bit on the year list this year (long awaited update to
            come), but that will be remedied shortly. In the mean time, while it
            may not feel like winter for everyone in the province yet with a mixture
            of brown and white across the province, 'tis the season for the birder's
            winter bird list. This runs from December 1st to February 28th.

            As per traditional winter bird listing rules observed across this great
            country (and beyond), the goal is to tally as many species as possible,
            and trying to squeeze in as many late migrants as we can find to give a
            well padded total at the end, and hopefully beat the previous season's
            total (eventually 113 were reported). Our long-term average (since
            01/02) is 111.7 species (SE = 1.35).

            [Any word on the Yellow-throated Warbler and Baltimore Oriole in Moose
            Jaw?? How about the Golden-crowned Sparrow in Cypress Hills?]

            A couple of simple courtesies exist to keep the listing fair and
            hopefully fun for everyone during the coldest and least "birdy" time of
            the year:

            -All reports are welcome; everyone is encouraged to put forth their
            sightings, as well as reliable ones that you may hear about.
            -The sooner reported, the better (although I certainly know that life
            can get in the way at times!), and the sooner they can be added to the list.
            -While unrelated, Christmas Bird Count summaries are great to read, and
            often turn up interesting birds and exciting additions.
            -Dress for the weather and stay safe on the roads!

            I will be updating the winter list on Saskbirds with moderate frequency
            especially for the first couple of weeks. As winter progresses,
            however, new species become increasingly difficult to find, and updates
            will be reduced accordingly. Look forward to the first update on either
            December 2nd or 3rd. This and subsequent updates will be titled "Winter
            Bird List 2009/2010).

            And once again , Blake Maybank will be hosting our list on his site as
            well as winter lists from every other Canadian Province, St. Pierre &
            Michelon (FR), and Iceland. These may be found here:
            http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/skwinter.htm

            Best of Birding,

            Ryan Dudragne
            Saskatoon, SK

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

            > Morning Birders:
            >
            > I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I
            guess it starts today if we do - right?

            > It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are
            Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker

            > I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They
            don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this
            curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.

            > Kathy in Estevan

          • dcco577
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
              A White-breasted Nuthatch, north of Balcarres.
            • Jim Nordquist
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
                Add a merlin in Regina,seen this a.m. while shovelling
                You guessed it, Kathy! Welcome to December, may the winter listing
                games begin!

                I have slipped a bit on the year list this year (long awaited update to
                come), but that will be remedied shortly. In the mean time, while it
                may not feel like winter for everyone in the province yet with a mixture
                of brown and white across the province, 'tis the season for the birder's
                winter bird list. This runs from December 1st to February 28th.

                As per traditional winter bird listing rules observed across this great
                country (and beyond), the goal is to tally as many species as possible,
                and trying to squeeze in as many late migrants as we can find to give a
                well padded total at the end, and hopefully beat the previous season's
                total (eventually 113 were reported). Our long-term average (since
                01/02) is 111.7 species (SE = 1.35).

                [Any word on the Yellow-throated Warbler and Baltimore Oriole in Moose
                Jaw?? How about the Golden-crowned Sparrow in Cypress Hills?]

                A couple of simple courtesies exist to keep the listing fair and
                hopefully fun for everyone during the coldest and least "birdy" time of
                the year:

                -All reports are welcome; everyone is encouraged to put forth their
                sightings, as well as reliable ones that you may hear about.
                -The sooner reported, the better (although I certainly know that life
                can get in the way at times!), and the sooner they can be added to the list.
                -While unrelated, Christmas Bird Count summaries are great to read, and
                often turn up interesting birds and exciting additions.
                -Dress for the weather and stay safe on the roads!

                I will be updating the winter list on Saskbirds with moderate frequency
                especially for the first couple of weeks. As winter progresses,
                however, new species become increasingly difficult to find, and updates
                will be reduced accordingly. Look forward to the first update on either
                December 2nd or 3rd. This and subsequent updates will be titled "Winter
                Bird List 2009/2010).

                And once again , Blake Maybank will be hosting our list on his site as
                well as winter lists from every other Canadian Province, St. Pierre &
                Michelon (FR), and Iceland. These may be found here:
                http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/maybank/other/skwinter.htm

                Best of Birding,

                Ryan Dudragne
                Saskatoon, SK

                --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...> wrote:

                > Morning Birders:
                >
                > I don't know if we do a Winter List on SaskBirds any more, but I
                guess it starts today if we do - right?

                > It's snowing down here in Estevan and so far the only birds are
                Eurasian Collared Doves. Oops, and a Downy Woodpecker

                > I was going to say these doves aren't the smartest of birds. They
                don't realize there is food just under the light covering of this
                curious cold, white stuff on their usual feeding platform.

                > Kathy in Estevan

              • nikovich71
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 1, 2009
                  Stick a Northern Flicker in the pot too. We had our regular male visitor this afternoon at the heated birdbath.

                  Cheers
                  Nick
                  S'toon
                • Kathy Hedegard
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2009
                    Around Rafferty and Boundary Reservoirs this afternoon:

                    Bald Eagles (3)
                    Horned Larks
                    Snow Buntings
                    Northern Pintail (1) (think this fella is probably wounded and can't fly)
                    Redheads (2)
                    Ruddy Ducks (2)
                    Cackling Geese
                    Black-billed Magpies

                    Other species already on Winter List:
                    Lesser Scaups
                    Common Goldeneyes
                    Mallards
                    Canada Geese

                    Please about 12 Mule Deer and a mouse.

                    Kathy in Estevan

                  • Kathy Hedegard
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Ryan, You forgot Greg's Grey Partridges, plus I forgot to add Ring-necked Pheasants to my post yesterday, of which I saw at least 12

                      Kathy in Estevan

                    • Bluebird
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2009
                        I found a Song Sparrow among the house sparrows at mid-day. Looked a bit cold but feeding O.K. rural Saskatoon. Marian
                      • kathy_hedegard
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 1, 2014

                          Hi Birders:

                          My yard in Estevan has had the following visitors today:

                          Eurasian Collared-Doves, 12

                          Black-capped Chickadees, 3

                          Black-billed Magpie, 1

                          Canada Geese, 150+ flying over

                          House Sparrows, seems like several million

                          Kathy H

                          Estevan,SK