Common Nighthawks

  • plantman108
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 13, 2009
      Greetings,

      While I was out for an evening walk yesterday at around 7:30p.m. a group of 7 Common Nighthawks were seen flying and feeding over south Whitmore Park here in Regina.

      Steven Weir
      Regina,Sk
    • K M
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 26 7:42 PM
        Hi everyone.
         6 Common nighthawks flew over Rochdale Pk tonight at 7:35pm. They were heading
        eastward and didn't stay very long.  Kim in Regina

      • daynewilki9
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 26 8:27 PM
          There were very large numbers of nighthawks in Val Marie last week. At least 50 in one group with many more individuals flying around.
        • nikovich71
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 27 7:14 AM
            Good to hear ! I was impressed with the numbers I saw there while staying at the Convent in July.
            Truly a wonderful sight to see Nighhawk's perched in trees within town.

            Nick

            S'toon
          • nikovich71
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 9, 2011
              Good evening all,

              Just had 2 very vocal Common Nighthawks flitting about, high over the backyard, probably enjoying the mosquitoes.
              I had 2 very vocal mosquitoes on my arm and neck.
              Also, while barbecuing, I disturbed the biggest Meadow Vole I have ever seen! I have no idea where he has been living, but we do have some rather inviting hiding places in the yard it seems.

              The House Wrens now have babies, as I'm noticing the parents bringing in food, usually little green caterpillars.

              Cheers,

              Nick

              Saskatoon

              New photos - http://www.saskbirder.com/
            • William Davenport

                Message 7 of 12 , May 31, 2013
                  About 15 Common Nighthawks passed overhead a few minutes ago. They were flying very high, fluttering about catching insects, and steadily heading NNW. They are my FOYs.

                  It is chilly and calm after the long rain down here.

                  Kathy H in Estevan

                • Geoffrey
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 1, 2013
                    I just had my first Nighthawk of the year today, June 1st, 2013 around 2:30 pm it flew right over my house. My other yard birds today were a very bold Lark Sparrow that stared me down as I observed it on my gravel driveway from inside the garage. Later she flew to a fence post and was joined by her mate - literally. To top of my peculiar yard bird list for the afternoon were 3 high flying Purple Martins and a pair of Common Terns, one carrying a wee fish in it's bill and being pursued vociferously by the other. Again they flew directly over my house. Kind of glad I took care of the lawn today. It was quite rewarding. Oh yes and a small golden colored Wood frog (Lithobates sylvaticus) in my grass. Saw him in the same spot last Saturday as well.

                    Geoff Urwin
                    Warman, SK