Re: [Saskbirds] Black and White warbler at King's Park

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2009
      Rocky
      I would not be surprised that Black and White Warblers may nest in suitable habitat within the extensive aspen groves in the Kings Park area.

      This species does breed within the extensive moist aspen woodlands at White Bear Lake and at Moose Mountain Provincial Park and within another type of habitat -moist ravines with mature trees, within the Qu'Appelle Valley and riparian woods along the Souris River. I have also found these on territory in ravines near Eastend and at St. Victor within the nearby campground. Unless a person knows the song ,as you mention, these are easily overlooked.

      Check out the confirmed and suspected breeding areas in Alan Smith's Nature Saskatchewan publication "Atlas of Saskatchewan Birds." No question that this species is widely distributed within the Province where ever the several preferred habitat types occur..

      Good Birding

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 11, 2009
        Thanks for the excellent info.Bob.I will see if I can track down a copy of that book.:-)

        Rocky