Orchard Orioles at Kronau...

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      This is a location where I find these each year. Today, I heard three or four male Orchard Orioles and saw just one adult. One (or two? ) were in the town with others at the former Oyama Campsite and Reservoir plus a new location at a farmyard. I am reluctant to remain near occupied farmsteads or cruise village streets at 6:00 a.m.

      I also heard and saw a displaying Upland Sandpiper near Oyama.

      Other species noted at small pastures, farmyard shelterbelts plus the town site included: abundant Mourning Doves including fledglings, Baltimore Orioles, Western and Eastern Kingbirds, Least Flycatchers, Warbling Vireos, Brown headed Cowbirds, Brewer's & Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, Brown Thrashers, Western Meadowlarks, Savannah and House Sparrows, Barn & Tree Swallows, American Crows, Killdeer, Willet, Swainson's Hawks.

      At Monica Slough, I added Yellow-headed Blackbirds, American Avocets, Wilson's Phalaropes and a couple of duck broods including -Northern Pintail, Mallards and Gadwall. I heard at least one Marsh Wren there as well.

      Good Birding