Birding the Qu'appelle Valley and Catley area

  • Rocky Marchigiano
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2009
      Yesterday morning I took a very early a.m. trip to #99 and then onto the hill.I arrived at 4 to have a listen to the early dawn chorus.

      Some of the early bird songsters heard were American Bittern thumping away near the church road,Alder Flycatcher,Savannah Sparrow,and Black billed Cuckoo which I heard in 2 separate locations and then later on the hill.My pebble tapping didn't bring any response from Yellow Rails but a Sora cried out.

      The song over on the hill was reserved when I arrived initially but picked up as the day warmed.Boy what a difference it makes to now recognize most of the song.Not only did I hear Orange crowned,American Redstart and Black and White warbler I was able to see all 3 species.I wasn't able to locate a calling Ovenbird though.I spent several hours scouring various parts of the area and my impression was that Black and White were the most common,followed by Orange Crowned and just a few(2 or 3 Redstarts).There was a lovely male Redstart singing as you ascend the road of the steep hill.

      I also believe to have heard a Great Crested Flycatcher calling briefly around 7 a.m.It was not heard again that morning.A Ruffed Grouse was still drumming and was heard throughout the day.I heard and then found a Yellow bellied Sapsucker as I walked the road that descends toward the valley.The old Catley Ranch road I walked had another calling BB Cuckoo which seemed so close I could touch it.Unfortunately I did not manage to see it.The YB Chat Bob and I had found along this road was a no show on this day,as was the scolding and swooping Sharp shinned Hawk.

      Other species in the area I saw :
      3 Turkey Vulture
      Pair of Red tailed Hawks
      Swainson's Hawk
      Eastern phoebe
      Alder Flycatcher
      Least Flycatcher
      House Wren
      American Goldfinch
      Veery(many singing)
      Spotted and Eastern Towhee
      Cedar Waxwing
      Vesper,Song,Savannah,Lark,Clay Colored Sparrow
      Eastern and Western Kingbird
      Bobolink
      Gray Catbird
      Brown Thrasher
      Western Meadowlark
      Baltimore Oriole
      Yellow Warbler
      Common Yellowthroat
      Wilson's Snipe
      AW Pelican
      DC Cormorant
      Barn,Cliff,Tree and Bank Swallow
      Mountain and Eastern Bluebird(I think there may be more than 1 Eastern but the sun was in my eyes at the time)

      Well there was others but I think this will suffice.lol

      Lots of nice mammal sightings as well:
      White tailed deer and fawn
      Mule Deer
      Several Chipmunks