Bay-breasted Warbler, Blue-headed Vireo etc

  • Nick Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2009
      Fellow birders,

      I just got back from a ' non-birding ' trip to Candle Lake.
      We were visiting with friends at their cabin, but I still managed to sneak away for a couple of hours early in the morning on both days.
      Not really advisable after long nights of drinking, eating, playing cards and other merriment's, but you just can't beat being outdoors first thing.
      Warblers still seem to be arriving , with not that many species present, although Cape May's were everywhere, actually out-numbering Yellow-rumps.
      On the last day, things picked up a little bit when I found two singing Bay-breasted Warblers , a Redstart and then several Tennessee's.

      Here are my highlights...

      New year birds :

      Bay-breasted Warbler - 2 resplendent males high in the canopy.
      Blue-headed Vireo - 1 serenading me from a lofty perch giving me some nice binocular views.
      Red-eyed Vireo - 1 singing bird on the journey home
      American Redstart - 1 quick look at a male

      And the rest ..

      Veery - 1
      Swainson's Thrush - 1
      Cape May Warbler - 10 males, 2 females
      Tennessee Warbler - 4
      Ovenbird - 3
      Yellow-rumped Warbler - 8
      Pileated Woodpecker - 1 male
      Gray Jay - 10
      Northern Goshawk - 1 brief fly by
      Ruffed Grouse - 3
      Boreal Chickadee - 5
      Pine Siskin - 9
      Dark-eyed Junco - 2
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 6
      White-throated Sparrow - 2
      Chipping Sparrow - 20
      Northern Flicker - 3
      Turkey Vulture 2
      Merlin - 2
      Red-tailed Hawk - 3
      Swainson's Hawk - 1
      Evening Grosbeak - 1
      Lapland Longspur - 2 flocks of about 100 on the journey home
      Sandhill Crane - 4 on the way home
      Wilson's Snipe - 2

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Saskatoon
    • Nick Saunders
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
        I forgot to mention the Winter Wren that woke me up at 3am on the first night !

        Cheers,
        Nick