Sprague's Pipit , Pileated Woodpecker and a Parrot !

  • Nick Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 10:21 AM
      Morning all,

      At the crack of dawn this morning I set out with a couple of friends and we headed to a community pasture where I had permission to photograph dancing Sharp-tailed Grouse.
      While enjoying the show, we were also treated to an aerial display by a Spragues Pipit in full song.
      We then headed to Pike Lake where we had a nice view of a male Ruffed Grouse on his log and two Pileated Woodpeckers calling loudly to each other.

      Other stuff seen this morning :

      American Kestrel - 1 male
      Brown-headed Cowbird ( New for the year )
      Rough-legged Hawk - 1 very white individual
      Vesper Sparrow - 10
      Savannah Sparrow - 4
      Song Sparrow - 1
      Common Tern - 1 ( new for the year )
      Red-necked Grebe - 2
      Lesser Scaup - 8
      Horned Grebe - 6
      Red-winged Blackbird - 8
      Tree Swallow - 12
      Mountain Bluebird - 4
      Western Meadowlark - 6
      Common Grackle - 1
      Brewer's Blackbird - 16
      Red-winged Blackbird - 8

      Plus some more common birds that I just label 'the usuals'.

      Other news :

      My friends Bill & Audrey Mackenzie saw something unusual at Lakeview this morning. An escapee Parrot was sitting high in a Birch Tree watching the Purple Finches at their feeder. The male finch was quite curious and would fly and sit near singing his great song. The parrot would move along the branch and did not fly for quite a long time.

      Also, I just heard from my pal Steve Enns that the Leucistic American Robin that visited the Forestry Farm Park last year is back once again.

      Cheers,

      Nick

      Saskatoon