Spring birds in Ituna & area

  • lotsalilies123
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2009
      I was quite excited seeing a Bald Eagle along Hwy 52 near Homefield this morning on my way in to Yorkton. I initially saw it perched in a tree, and as I stopped the truck to get a better look it took flight and circled around for a bit before flying out of sight.

      March 28 was THE day to welcome spring in Ituna - my first of the year American Robin perched in the front yard tree (and the Blue Jays were really mad about this intruder) and an additional first of the year sighting of a Merlin later that afternoon. I've seen that Merlin every day since so I suspect it will become a resident. Although Crows and Geese had arrived in the area earlier, I never seem to consider spring arriving until I see a Robin.

      Last week on a drive in to Yorkton there were many, many Horned Larks alongside the road. Today there was remarkably fewer. I did see a number of Magpies, a few Ravens and a lot of Crows along the drive as well as a few grouse/partridge type birds but I wasn't able to catch but a glance and not enough to identify.

      At home the Redpolls, both Common and a few Hoary, continue to come to the feeders. The Woodpeckers - so frequent that I've started referring to them as 'our' woodpeckers, Chickadees, Blue Jays and a few House Sparrows all take advantage of the feeding areas as well.

      Sharon in Ituna