Re: [Saskbirds] Lapland longspur?

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
      Scott
      There are several Eurasian species with similar facial markings which resemble the Lapland Longspur in basic/non-breeding plumage. You may wish to obtain some photos to ensure that this is the much more expected species rather than some straggler.

      Good Birding

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2009
        After some off-line discussion, the bird seems more likely to be a Harris's
        sparrow. It lacks chestnut on the wing feathers, white outer tail feathers
        and the black legs of a winter plumage Lapland longspur.

        Many thanks to Kathy and Bob!

        Happy birding,

        Scott
      • Nick Saunders
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2009
          Well, not content with just finding the Goldfinch this morning, I
          went out with my pal Ron Jensen for a little drive around Montgomery Park and then checked out the water next to the QEII Power Station where we were rewarded by finding 12 Canada Geese in the company of a lone white Snow Goose which stood out like a sore thumb.

          Other species found :

          Pine Siskin
          House Finch
          Common Goldeneye
          Mallard
          Rock Pigeon
          House Sparrow
          Black-capped Chickadee
          Hairy Woodpecker
          Red-breasted Nuthatch
          Bohemian Waxwing
          Common Raven
          Black-billed Magpie
          Blue Jay

          Cheers,
          Nick
          Saskatoon
          http://www.saskbirder.com/
        • skyman845
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2010
            Hello all, trying to find time to sum up my BBS findings from last week, and watch all the soccer games (I think I have missed 4 so far). Thank fully the lack of sleep only happens once every four years.

            I will get to my BBs birds very soon, but today on the creek by Rainbow Bridge was a pair of Snow Geese

            Greg in Regina
          • Val T
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
              Yesterday a very white Snow Goose stood out on the green field just north of the trees of the farm on the correction line curve south of Regina. It was on the east side of Highway #6.

              We have two pairs of Western Kingbirds nesting in the yard. No Eastern for some reason in years. They usually are sitting on our name sign at the front lane. One pair of Barn Swallows has built a nest on the top of the vent on the house wall by the deck. They swoop when our whits cat comes out. Our one cat is so quick - she did a flip and caught a swallow in mid air but it thankfully got away. So now we won't let the cat out. And am also happy that we see a Warbling Vireo here this year, finally.

              Val T - McTaggart
            • Ryan Dudragne
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2016
                Good Evening All,

                On Monday morning I had a lone Snow Goose south of Regina along the edge
                of a field along Highway 6, within a half-mile of the Hwy 6-39 junction.
                There were a few Canada Geese in the area, but the Snow was otherwise
                all alone.

                Best of Birding,

                Ryan Dudragne
                Regina, SK