Today

  • Val
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2009
      The Great-horned Owl is sitting in the trees along the road by our
      place. Nine Grey Partridge came up quite close to the living room
      window so I threw out some wheat after they left in hopes they will
      come back. Three kilometers north of our place a moose cow and two
      calves are hanging around the trees in two different farmyards. The
      people really don't want them around!

      Val T - McTaggart
    • Val T
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 30, 2010
        It rained most of the night here and today brought us some nice birds to the yard - a Western Meadowlark, a Killdeer and some American Robins. One Dark-eyed Junco is feeding amongst the House Sparrows. A Rough-legged Hawk flew directly over Doyle's head in the yard today giving him (Doyle)a good glimpse of the underside pattern.

        Val T - McTaggart
      • Val T
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 7, 2010
          Well after riding home in a tow truck from south of Regina tonight it makes for a late posting. Anyway, this morning we were happy to have our first Mourning Dove appear this year. Other birds at the feeders that have been here a while were American Robin, Downy Woodpecker and lots of Dark-eyed Juncos along with House Sparrows. We also saw a flock of Snow Buntings just north of our place. Two American Crows flew through the yard and a small flock of Sandhill Cranes chorkled overhead. One Rough-legged Hawk was along the highway.
          That's it for our birding today.

          Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
        • Val T
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25 8:02 AM
            We had excellent directions to the Burrowing Owl location (thanks Bill and Lynne) but unfortunately during the 1 1/2 hours we sat there none appeared. The wind was really strong and we wondered if this had something to do with it. At any rate, we always enjoy a drive filled with hope. Meanwhile just out the dining room window we are enjoying three Ruby-throated Hummingbirds at the feeder (two females) as well as the pair of Baltimore Orioles teaching a young one how to feed from it. A pair of Red-winged Blackbirds are also groundfeeding with a young one. The trees are filled with warblers - HELP!! There is no way I can tell the similar-looking ones apart as they flit around too fast. There are about 14 Mourning Doves feeding also and three Brown Thrashers. Barn Swallows and Swainson's Hawks are the main soarers this morning.

            That's it for now.

            Val T - McTaggart
          • Val T
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 19, 2010
              Doyle said we still have two nests of Barn Swallows with young in the barn but they are almost ready to go. Sure hope the weather straightens out after that hard frost and the birds can feed up to head south. More worried about them than the standing crop we have out there :-). We had a Sharp-shinned Hawk fly onto the back swing this morning which explains no birds at the feeding area. It sat there for a good 10 minutes. A Killdeer is still hanging around the road. We did have Black-billed Magpies nesting this year and now there are about 18. They are so large and beautiful. I never noticed before that their tail is quite a deep shade of green. Quite a few warbler-type birds in the trees. We have been seeing smaller flocks of Sandhill Cranes flying over and a flock of Snow Geese north of Corrine.

              Val T - McTaggart
            • Val T
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 12, 2011
                We have had around 25 Dark-eyed Juncos and five Harris's Sparrows at the feeders recently plus one Chipping Sparrow and another one yet to identify. Six Black-billed Magpies call our place home and they scare off everything when they fly in to feed.

                We're off (just before noon) to what we hope will hope will be a Whooping good story right now as we head to Muskiski?? Lake. We have gone there the last two years and been successful. The fog was really thick everywhere this morning but what often happens on a day starting out like that is it lifts and becomes a beautiful sunny day. And thus it did happen today.

                Thank you everyone for your postings on the Whooping Crane locations.

                Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
              • Val T
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 6, 2011
                  Weather - yuk!! That having been said though we had an American Tree Sparrow foraging with eight Dark-eyed Juncos at the ground seed. We have regular guests of eight Black-billed Magpies. They seem to fair very well around our place each year and will stay the winter. Our dogs get excited to see fox squirrels through the window. I let them out the front door and they zoom around the side of the house to the back to try and catch one. By this time the squirrels are long gone up a tree or into the back tree line. I'm glad the squirrels have lots of time to get away but in honesty they are a nuisance in that they've ruined two of our feeders. Our Cockatiel is showing his age and although he's still able to get around and feed okay it's harder for him to climb up to his perch. We'll watch carefully and try to figure something better for him if as he gets worse. He will be 32 in January! He thinks he is a Cockatoo as he lived twice as long as he should have done on average :-). We sure love him.

                  Val T - McTaggart
                • jrbirdboy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                    At home:

                    Wilson's Warbler - 2
                    American Redstart - 2
                    Red-eyed Vireo - 1
                    Magnolia Warbler - 1
                    Hummingbird - 1 or 2
                    Lincoln's Sparrows - 2 forgot to mention, had one a week ago as well.
                    White-crowned Sparrows

                    I'm also still seeing young Lark Buntings as well.

                    About two weeks ago Lori saw a Harlequin Duck on the river near Palliser Park.

                    Joel