Re: [Saskbirds] 2002 Saskatchewan Bird List

  • Brenda Schmidt
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2002
      The Winter Wren (along grid from Denare Beach to Sturgeon-Weir) can be
      added.

      Brenda Schmidt
      Creighton, SK
    • Kenneth Noble
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 18, 2002
        Dear Harv
        Interesting suggestion! But do you mean birds that
        Surreybirders see in England (or the UK?) as a whole,
        or a competition with the whole English birding scene
        (where some twitchers reckon to see 300+ personally
        per year--which is pretty frantic when you consider
        that my UK list is still only around the 275 mark
        after some 30 years of birding!).
        Another possibility would be to regard this year's
        total as 'par' (for the golfers among you) and see
        whether we can break par in 2003?
        I'll post this to Surreybirders, too, and see if I get
        any suggestions.
        Hope you all have some good fall rarities.
        Ken

        --- Harv Lane <hdlane@...> wrote: > Howdy folks,

> [...]
        > 205.. Yellow-throated Vireo
        > 206.. Blue-headed Vireo
        > 207.. Warbling Vireo
        > 208.. Philadelphia Vireo
        > 209.. Red-eyed Vireo
        > 210.. Tennessee Warbler
        > 211.. Orange-crowned Warbler
        > 212.. Nashville Warbler
        > 213.. Yellow Warbler
        > 214.. Black-throated Blue Warbler
        > 215.. Chestnut-sided Warbler
        > 216.. Magnolia Warbler
        > 217.. Cape May Warbler
        > 218.. Yellow-rumped Warbler
        > 219.. Black-throated Green Warbler
        > 220.. Blackburnian Warbler
        > 221.. Pine Warbler
        > 222.. Palm Warbler
        > 223.. Bay-breasted Warbler
        > 224.. Blackpoll Warbler
        > 225.. Black-and-White Warbler
        > 226.. American Redstart
        > 227.. Ovenbird
        > 228.. Northern Waterthrush
        > 229.. Connecticut Warbler
        > 230.. Mourning Warbler
        > 231.. MacGillivray's Warbler
        > 232.. Common Yellowthroat
        > 233.. Wilson's Warbler
        > 234.. Canada Warbler
        > 235.. Yellow-breasted Chat
        > 236.. Western Tanager
        > 237.. Eastern Towhee
        > 238.. Spotted Towhee
        > 239.. American Tree Sparrow
        > 240.. Chipping Sparrow
        > 241.. Clay-coloured Sparrow
        > 242.. Brewer's Sparrow
        > 243.. Versper Sparrow
        > 244.. Lark Sparrow
        > 245.. Lark Bunting
        > 246.. Savannah Sparrow
        > 247.. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow
        > 248.. Le Conte's Sparrow
        > 249.. Baird's Sparrow
        > 250.. Grasshopper Sparrow
        > 251.. Fox Sparrow
        > 252.. Song Sparrow
        > 253.. Lincoln's Sparrow
        > 254.. Swamp Sparrow
        > 255.. White-crowned Sparrow
        > 256.. White-throated Sparrow
        > 257.. Harris' Sparrow
        > 258.. Dark-eyed Junco
        > 259.. McCown's Longspur
        > 260.. Lapland Longspur (Lapland Bunting)
        > 261.. Smith's Longspur
        > 262.. Chestnut-collared Longspur
        > 263.. Snow Bunting
        > 264.. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
        > 265.. Black-headed Grosbeak
        > 266.. Lazuli Bunting
        > 267.. Indigo Bunting
        > 268.. Bobolink
        > 269.. Red-winged Blackbird
        > 270.. Western Meadowlark
        > 271.. Yellow-headed Blackbird
        > 272.. Rusty Blackbird
        > 273.. Brewer's Blackbird
        > 274.. Common Grackle
        > 275.. Brown-headed Cowbird
        > 276.. Baltimore Oriole
        > 277.. Bullock's Oriole
        > 278.. Orchard Oriole
        > 279.. Pine Grosbeak
        > 280.. Purple Finch
        > 281.. House Finch
        > 282.. Red Crossbill (Common Crossbill)
        > 283.. White-winged Crossbill (Two-barred

        =====
        http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      • micknsharon
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
          Ken and Harv, one way to even things up a bit would be to compete
          against mainland England, excluding off shore islands where a lot of
          rarities get seen and not count pelagic sightings. Sorry to exclude
          Wales and Scotland but I think that would give the British team a
          huge advantage. The only problem would be co-ordinating things on
          Ken's side unless he is in regular contact with all the county
          recorders. Saskatchewan's biggest disadvantage would be the number of
          players on each side.

          Incidentally Harv on your list you could add the name Hen Harrier in
          brackets next to Northern Harrier.

          Cheers
          Mick
          Saskatoon

          --- In Saskbirds@y..., Kenneth Noble <kennethnoble@y...> wrote:
          > Dear Harv
          > Interesting suggestion! But do you mean birds that
          > Surreybirders see in England (or the UK?) as a whole,
          > or a competition with the whole English birding scene
          > (where some twitchers reckon to see 300+ personally
          > per year--which is pretty frantic
        • Harv Lane
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
            Hi Mick & Ken,

            This is sort of the idea that I had. I just wasn't sure how to define the
            area. Do you think that this area would provide a list in the range of 300
            or so species, Ken?

            Cheers,
            Harv

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
              Dear Mick and Harv,
              You are challenging me here! a) I'm not at all sure
              how many species are seen annually in England (as
              opposed to the UK)-- in fact, I've never heard of
              anyone keeping a separate English list, though I
              personally keep a Scottish list!
              b) I'm not in touch with enough people on the English
              birding scene to be able to provide a realistic list.

              I'll forward your messages to Surreybirders and see
              what they suggest, if anything!!

              (The UK list stands at c560 species, with several
              additions this year alone. I believe that the best
              year-list is around the 365 mark [i.e. one per day!].
              From memory--always fallible--the top listers in the
              county of Kent [our coastal neighbours] have seen
              around about that figure for their life-time Kent
              lists. I suppose one possibility would be for
              Saskbirders to challenge Kosnet Yahoogroup to a year
              listing challenge--though I'd be sorry to lose the
              contact between Surreybirders and Saskbirders.)

              Any more ideas out there?
              Ken
              cc surreybirders

              --- Harv Lane <hdlane@...> wrote: > Hi Mick & Ken,

              > This is sort of the idea that I had. I just wasn't
              > sure how to define the
              > area. Do you think that this area would provide a
              > list in the range of 300
              > or so species, Ken?
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Harv

              =====
              http://uk.my.yahoo.com
            • micknsharon
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
                Ken, Harv and any other interested parties, there are several
                counties in England where individual bird watchers have ticked over
                300 birds this year already, 365 in Yorkshire is at the top.
                Surfbirds.com has a section especially for listers and if you look at

                http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?
                list=list10&lowVal=0&highVal=49

                You will see the top individuals and thier numbers for the year. If a
                bunch of these decided to add their records to Surrey's competition
                list Sk would be in for a good hiding. Unless of course we can get
                more people watching in Sk and passing on the info, for example from
                wardens in National or Provincial parks. Whatever route we take lets
                not lose the link between Surrey and Saskatchewan.....at least that
                way there will be some people in Britain who have heard of
                Saskatchewan!!!

                Cheers
                Mick