Dec 22/ Dec 26: Swift Current - Sask/Alta border

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      December 22, we headed to Calgary to spend Christmas with our daughter
      and son-in-law ("we" being Larry, Ryan, and I).

      The first hour of driving (we left home just before 9:00 AM), we were
      disappointed that we didn't see anything. The next hour was a little
      more productive... with us seeing 1 Sharp-tailed Grouse (flying over the
      highway), 2 Black-billed Magpies, 1 American Crow (west of Piapot), 2
      Common Ravens (first one was just east of Tompkins, the second a few
      miles east of Maple Creek), 1 Mule Deer, and in 'no man's land' (at the
      Saskatchewan /Alberta border), there was a herd of 75+/- Pronghorn.

      December 26, we returned home...

      From the Sask/Alberta border to Swift Current, we saw 2 unidentified
      birds, and at least 270 Pronghorn (2 herds of 75+, 2 herds each with
      50+/-, & another small herd of 7.... around 220 of these - were between
      the Sk/Alberta border and the Maple Creek turnoff!! WOW!!! There was
      only one herd between Maple Creek and Swift Current... a 1 1/2 hour
      drive. There was also a herd of 75+ Pronghorn just west of Walsh...
      that I did not include in the total, so well over 300 within 30-40
      minutes of driving!)

      Pronghorn certainly seem to be doing well around the Maple Creek/Alberta
      border area...

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net