Buffalo Pound Trip...

  • tsb2001@sasktel.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
      Today, I made my first birding trip to Buffalo Pound Reservoir.

      Here are some of the other sightings:

      No loon species were observed.

      With the exception of 3 immature Bald Eagles no other raptors were seen either at Buffalo Pound or during the journey from and to Regina

      90+ Hooded Mergansers. Most of these were in a single large flock offshore near the dam. Others were in smaller groups scattered along the southern shore.

      7 Red-breasted Mergansers

      23 Common Mergansers. These were observed foraging together near the smaller group of RBME towards the Dam area.

      120+- Common Goldeneyes. I searched diligently in vain for a Barrow's Goldeneye

      350+- Redheads

      600+ Scaup species plus a couple of Ring-necked Ducks

      60+ Buffleheads

      30+ Ruddy Ducks

      8,000+- Mallards. With the Nicolle Flats pond dry many of these were gathered along the shore of the Dam and along the north side opposite the Buffalo Pound Water intake

      32 American Wigeon. These were mixed in with a large group of Mallards , Gadwall and Green-winged Teal foraging in the vegetative debris piled up on the shore of the Dam.

      11 Gadwall including a male Mallard/Gadwall hybrid.

      3 Green-winged Teal

      2,500 Canada plus some Cackling Geese.

      This is the first time in years that there were no Snow Geese here or seen during the journey.

      73-Greater White-fronted Geese.

      9 Tundra Swans. Typically there are hundreds gathered in the now dry Nicolle Flats Pond.

      5 Double-crested Cormorants.

      Some Coots

      1 Tree Sparrow

      8 White-winged Crossbill
      In addition to the birds this is a great place to see and photograph Mule and White-tailed Deer. The Mule Deer are incredibly confiding allowing great looks if you use the car as a blind.

    • tsb2001@sasktel.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2008
        Oops !

        I see that I neglected to sign my name and location.

        Good Birding