Sask Landing Prov Park

  • M A
    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 3, 2008
      At Sask Landing, over the 3 hours we were there (7:30-11:30'ish), we saw
      and/or heard 45 bird species:

      Canada Geese
      Mallards
      1 Blue-winged Teal
      2 Hooded Mergansers - females
      1 Sharp-tailed Grouse
      Western Grebes
      40+ American White Pelicans
      2 Spotted Sandpipers
      Ring-billed Gulls
      Mourning Doves
      1 Common Nighthawk (heard only)
      3 Belted Kingfishers
      3 Northern Flickers (and heard at least 1 or 2 more)
      1 Alder Flycatcher (lifer for Ryan!)
      5 Willow Flycatchers
      several Least Flycatchers
      9 Western Kingbirds (8 in and around one bush!)
      Eastern Kingbirds
      a few (4 or 5) American Crows
      a few Horned Larks
      1 Tree Swallow juvenile
      Cliff Swallows
      Barn Swallows
      House Wrens (saw 3 and heard at least 3 or 4 more)
      American Robins
      at least 4 Gray Catbirds
      2 Brown Thrashers
      at least 2 Sprague's Pipits (heard only)
      Cedar Waxwings
      at least 3 or 4 Tennessee Warblers
      Yellow Warblers
      1 Yellow-rumped "Myrtle" Warbler - male
      1 Common Yellowthroat juvenile and heard 1 or 2 adults singing
      1 Yellow-breasted Chat
      1 Spotted Towhee juvenile
      Chipping Sparrows
      Clay-colored Sparrows
      Song Sparrows
      Vesper Sparrows
      Lark Sparrows
      Red-winged Blackbirds
      Western Meadowlarks
      Brewer's Blackbirds
      2 Baltimore Orioles
      American Goldfinches

      Richardson's Ground Squirrels
      Coyotes (heard only... at least 2 howling)

      Several Butterflies
      Too many mosquitos!

      There were at least 30 American White Pelicans gathered in one group
      just up the River... and several loners or small groups of 2 or 3 on the
      water further downstream.

      With the water high and no beach, we didn't see much for dabblers and
      shorebirds. The campgrounds were filled to capacity so we didn't spend
      any time walking through them (don't think it would go over very good
      with us walking around with binoculars when everyone in the campground
      is just getting up!!)

      We were surprised not to see any Black-billed Magpies. I guess they
      must have been hanging out in the campground areas where all the food is.

      - Mary Ann and Ryan, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net
    • M A
      Message 2 of 29 , May 3, 2009
        Late this morning, Ryan and I headed for Sask Landing... (Only 30
        minutes north of us, but the first leg of the trip took us 45 minutes to
        go not even half way... LOL! I was busy stopping to check out raptors.)

        On the way to Sask Landing, we saw Canada Geese, a couple Mallards, a
        couple Ducks, 4 Northern Harriers, 6 Swainson's Hawks, 1 Red-tailed
        Hawk, 2 California Gulls, 1 Great Horned Owl (on a nest), 1 Northern
        Flicker, 1 Black-billed Magpie, 9 American Crows, Horned Larks,
        Red-winged Blackbirds, Western Meadowlarks, & 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird.

        A stop at the water body just south of Stewart Valley was a good one...
        there we saw Canada Geese, Gadwalls, American Wigeons, Mallards,
        Blue-winged Teals, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, Green-winged
        Teals, Ruddy Ducks, Killdeer (heard only), 1 American Avocet, 5 Willets,
        2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Marbled Godwits, 17 Long-billed Dowitchers,
        Horned Larks, Red-winged Blackbirds, & Western Meadowlarks.

        At Sask Landing Provincial Park, we saw Canada Geese, Mallards,
        Blue-winged Teals, Northern Shovelers, Northern Pintails, 1 Bufflehead
        (male), 4 Sharp-tailed Grouse, 2 American White Pelicans, Western
        Grebes, 1 Northern Harrier (male), 2 American Kestrels (m/f pair), 8
        American Coots, 7 Killdeer (incl. 2 pairs), 9 American Avocets, at least
        4 Willets, 8 Marbled Godwits, Mourning Dove (heard only), 3 Downy
        Woodpeckers (saw 1 m/f pair, plus heard another in a different area of
        the Park), 1 Hairy Woodpecker (male), 1 Say's Phoebe, 47 American Crows
        (incl. one on a nest, and a flock of 16!), Horned Larks, 7 Tree
        Swallows, 1 Mountain Bluebird (male), American Robins, European
        Starlings, at least 2 Sprague's Pipits (heard only), 1 American Tree
        Sparrow, Vesper Sparrows, Savannah Sparrows, 1 Song Sparrow (singing),
        Western Meadowlarks, & Brewer's Blackbirds. Seemed very odd that we
        didn't see any Black-billed Magpies at Sask Landing today... don't know
        where they all were hiding.

        On the way home, we saw some of the usual roadside birds including 3
        Northern Harriers, 4 Swainson's Hawks, & the Great-Horned Owl (on her
        nest). Both times we went by (to and from...) I forgot to look for the
        other Great-Horned Owl on the nest along #4 Hwy -- one Larry and I first
        saw a few weeks ago.

        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 3, 2012
          Larry just got back from Sask Landing. He went there this morning to
          clean out (and repair/ or replace, if necessary) the bird houses before
          the Bluebirds start returning. They could be back any time now...

          He said it was beautiful there this morning.... so quiet and peaceful
          with no wind.

          The birds he saw this morning at SLPP were:

          12 Sharp-tailed Grouse
          11 Rock Pigeons
          several Black-billed Magpies
          1 Townsend's Solitaire
          1 American Robin

          1 Nuttall's Cottontail
          Coyote Tracks

          Larry said the Coyote tracks were all in pairs....

          That was his morning;)

          He didn't see much of anything going to and from Swift Current... One
          Snow Bunting almost collided with the front of the truck and there were
          a few other like-sized birds flying up every so often but he didn't get
          good enough looks for identification.

          - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK