South of Stewart Valley

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 5:30 PM
      This morning, Ryan and I headed out at 6:20 AM... for Sask Landing
      Provincial Park.

      As we left the City, we saw 2 Swainson's Hawks & 1 Black-billed Magpie
      on the edge of the City limits. Along the way, we then saw 2 Northern
      Harriers, 3 Swainson's Hawks, 2 unidentified Hawks, Eastern Kingbirds, 1
      American Crow, Horned Larks, & Western Meadowlarks.

      We stopped at a water body approx. 1.5 miles south of Stewart Valley (we
      think it must be spring-fed... there is always some water in it, even
      when all the other sloughs in the area are dried up.)

      Just before getting to the water, we saw 6 Pronghorn.

      In/ near the water and immediate area we found:

      1 American Wigeon
      Mallards
      Northern Shovelers
      1 Green-winged Teal - male
      15+ Killdeer
      8 Semi-palmated Plovers
      2 Spotted Sandpipers
      1 Solitary Sandpiper
      4 Greater Yellowlegs
      2 Lesser Yellowlegs
      1 Marbled Godwit
      7 Least Sandpipers
      10-15 Baird's Sandpipers
      6 Pectoral Sandpipers
      5 Wilson's Phalaropes
      3 Ring-billed Gulls
      Mourning Doves
      Eastern Kingbirds
      1 Loggerhead Shrike
      1 American Crow
      American Robins
      Clay-colored Sparrows (heard only)
      Vesper Sparrows
      Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow (heard only)
      2 Bobolinks - males
      Red-winged Blackbirds
      Western Meadowlarks
      Brewer's Blackbirds

      ...almost 7:30 AM now, and on to Sask Landing!

      - Mary Ann and Ryan, Swift Current
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net