American Goldfinch

  • Brenda Schmidt
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 10, 2002
      We have a pair in our yard again this year--they're seen on a daily
      basis. Nothing new about that. However, I was just looking in Alan
      Smith's Atlas of Saskatchewan Birds, where it says they're uncommon and
      local up in this part of SK, and it dawned on me that maybe it's worth
      mentioning. They're seen and heard regularly in Creighton.
      We also observed one on the Grass River route in MB this year.

      Harvey & Brenda Schmidt
      Creighton, SK
    • valndoyle <val_doyle_thomas@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 29, 2003
        To our surprise, an American Goldfinch flew in to feed on the ground
        with the House Sparrows about two hours ago. He is still hanging
        around. Since he hasn't paid attention to the niger feeder, have mixed
        some niger seed in with the other feed.

        Todays' activities at the feeders:
        One Hairy Woodpecker
        Two Downy Woodpeckers
        One Red-breasted Nuthatch
        One American Goldfinch
        Two Black-capped Chickadees
        100+ House Sparrows
        3 fox squirrels

        Val
      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 10, 2003
          Myrt Thorson from Weyburn just phoned. At the moment she is looking at
          one American Goldfinch, one Pine Siskin and one Red Poll at their
          feeders. They are getting up to 14 Red Polls at the feeders.

          The Fox Squirrels haven't been around our feeders as much lately and
          today Doyle found out why. They chewed another hole in the wooden
          granary full of sunflower seeds and are once again enjoying their own
          unlimited smorg. A piece of patchwork is forthcoming.

          Six Sharp-tailed Grouse were by the end of the lane. Wonderful day today.

          Val from McTaggart area
        • Val
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 17, 2007
            Today there are two American Goldfinch feeding off the table and a
            Common Redpoll has also joined the birds that feed here daily. Doyle
            saw the Northern Harrier just south of our place Friday morning.

            Val T - McTaggart
          • Val
            Message 5 of 21 , May 19 8:36 AM
              Right now we are inundated (well not quite a flood) with American
              Goldfinch. We usually only have a couple of pairs stay for the summer
              so the other 50+ must be enjoying a fill as they pass through. What
              great sightings reported by all of you. One year we had a large amount
              of Rose-breasted Grosbeak stop over but that was a very rainy year and
              the rains seemed to bring in several varieties we hardly see now. Is
              Pelican Lake around Regina? We may head north to see if the Snack
              Shack is open at Lumsden and do a little birding between snacks :-).

              Val T - McTaggart
            • Mary Ann
              Message 6 of 21 , May 19 9:03 AM
                Val, If my memory serves me correct, I do believe I was told a few
                years ago that Pelican Lake is the Thunder Creek Marsh straight north
                of the Besant Campground off Highway #1 (between Mortlach and
                Caronport).

                Happy to hear there are shorebirds somewhere because last time I went
                by Reed Lake, it was pretty pathetic (very little water left.) Around
                here, there are very few sloughs with water (I think those that do have
                water in them must have a spring feeding them.)

                Take care,

                - Mary Ann, Swift Current
                50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
                http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

                --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Val" <val_doyle_thomas@...> wrote:

                .......Is Pelican Lake around Regina? We may head north to see if the
                Snack Shack is open at Lumsden and do a little birding between snacks :-
                ).

                Val T - McTaggart
              • Val
                Message 7 of 21 , May 19 9:30 AM
                  Thanks. Guess we were there about 10 days ago looking for the Long-
                  billed Curlew and Ruddy Turnstone but didn't see any out-of-the-
                  ordinary sightings. I just call it Thunder Creek, not being very
                  observant to note the name of the lake. Very sad about Reed Lake,
                  Chaplin and the whole area that cetainly gets shorebirds and other
                  species we don't see in the rest of the province. We usually take in
                  south central and south west Saskatchewan twice a year but don't
                  know if we'd like to see it so dry. We've missed all the rains here
                  also. Buttermilk Lake just west of Yellow Grass is (was) a large
                  body of water. Two weeks ago it was covered in water and we saw
                  hundreds of Tundra Swans, waterfowl, etc. Two days ago we saw
                  Buttermilk mudflats. The water musn't have been very deep and has
                  all gone with these wicked winds. We were very surprised.

                  Val T - McTaggart

                  --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann" <dudra.m@...> wrote:

                  > Val, If my memory serves me correct, I do believe I was told a few
                  > years ago that Pelican Lake is the Thunder Creek Marsh straight
                  north of the Besant Campground off Highway #1 (between Mortlach and
                  Caronport).

                  >> Take care,
                  >
                  > - Mary Ann, Swift Current

                • M A
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 19 9:54 AM
                    I was just going some very early SaskBird postings -- very interesting
                    (I wish I had some extra time to go back and read through all the past
                    years of SaskBirds. There is some very interesting and informative
                    information!!) I came across this SaskBirds posting from the late Wayne
                    Harris (on 2002 June 05):

                    This posting provides some good information about the Thunder Creek
                    Marsh/ Pelican Lake area... Now I just wish we had more time to get out
                    there and explore.

                    - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current

                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 am Val"
                    <val_doyle_thomas@...> wrote:

                    Thanks. Guess we were there about 10 days ago looking for the Long-
                    billed Curlew and Ruddy Turnstone but didn't see any out-of-the-
                    ordinary sightings. I just call it Thunder Creek, not being very
                    observant to note the name of the lake. Very sad about Reed Lake,
                    Chaplin and the whole area that cetainly gets shorebirds and other
                    species we don't see in the rest of the province. We usually take in
                    south central and south west Saskatchewan twice a year but don't
                    know if we'd like to see it so dry. We've missed all the rains here
                    also. Buttermilk Lake just west of Yellow Grass is (was) a large
                    body of water. Two weeks ago it was covered in water and we saw
                    hundreds of Tundra Swans, waterfowl, etc. Two days ago we saw
                    Buttermilk mudflats. The water musn't have been very deep and has
                    all gone with these wicked winds. We were very surprised.

                    Val T - McTaggart

                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann" <dudra.m@> wrote:

                    > Val, If my memory serves me correct, I do believe I was told a few
                    > years ago that Pelican Lake is the Thunder Creek Marsh straight
                    north of the Besant Campground off Highway #1 (between Mortlach and
                    Caronport).

                    >> Take care,
                    >
                    > - Mary Ann, Swift Current
                  • Nick Saunders
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 23, 2008
                      Yesterday morning while it was still dark outside, we had 2 of these
                      chirping away in the Elm tree behind our yard.
                      It was quite a nice surprise as we don't get too many of them in our
                      neighborhood.

                      Cheers.

                      Nick

                      S'toon

                      http://www.saskbirder.com/
                    • Nick Saunders
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 17, 2009
                        While on a brisk walk around my ' local patch ' Buena Vista Park this morning, I found 5 winter plumage American Goldfinch trilling away in the confines of a Chokecherry Tree.
                        This is the first time I have seen this species in the Winter, and its a shame they were not present in the city a couple of weeks ago, as they would have made a fine addition to the Great Backyard Bird Count.

                        Still waiting to see my first Mountain Bluebirds of the year , these Yellow beauties sure made it feel like spring, despite the minus 17 it was outside !

                        Other species seen were the usual's : Black-billed Magpie, Blue Jay, Downy Woodpecker, BC-Chickadee , House Finch , Red-breasted Nuthatch and House Sparrow.

                        Yesterday morning I was treated to close-up views of a female Yellow-shafted Flicker enjoying frozen Virginia Creeper berries atop our pergola that can be seen from the kitchen window.

                        Cheers,
                        Nick
                        Saskatoon
                        http://www.saskbirder.com/
                      • Bill Joyce Anaka
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 20, 2010
                          During the past month we have had phone calls from birders located in three different locations in this area.--Saltcoats, Canora and Yorkton rural reporting American Goldfinches at their feeders on a regular basis.
                          Joyce & Bill (Yorkton)

                        • tsb2001@sasktel.net
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 20, 2010
                            Bill & Joyce .

                            My brief research of the Great Backyard Bird Count Data provides this quicker snapshot.

                            2010 -The largest number of wintering American Goldfinches ever reported !!! (62) with 20 observed at Yorkton, 40 at Carievale, 1 at Melfort plus another at Shellbrook.

                            2009 -None were reported

                            2008 - Regina had 6

                            2007 -Regina had 5

                            2006-Birch Hills had 30

                            2005-2001- None reported

                            2000- Fort Qu'Appelle had 4.

                            I did a quicker search of the Audubon Christmas Bird Count Data and these are the results. I omitted data from prior to 1981 as there was zero reference to this species prior to that date. Curiously there are no references to any being tallied on the last or 2009 Count ?

                            Observation data for American Goldfinch, in CA-SK,
                            Count Years: 81 - 109

                            American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis)

                            Count Number Number Number / Party Hr. Number of Counts Reporting Species Number of Observers on Reporting Counts

                            81 0 0 0 0
                            82 1 0.0023 1 21
                            83 0 0 0 0
                            84 0 0 0 0
                            85 0 0 0 0
                            86 0 0 0 0
                            87 0 0 0 0
                            88 0 0 0 0
                            89 0 0 0 0
                            90 0 0 0 0
                            91 0 0 0 0
                            92 0 0 0 0
                            93 0 0 0 0
                            94 0 0 0 0
                            95 0 0 1 42
                            96 0 0 0 0
                            97 0 0 0 0
                            98 0 0 0 0
                            99 2 0.0038 2 82
                            100 0 0 0 0
                            101 1 0.001 1 61
                            102 6 0.0041 1 77
                            103 10 0.0103 2 89
                            104 5 0.0041 1 33
                            105 3 0.0026 2 84
                            106 19 0.0272 3 103
                            107 2 0.0059 2 25
                            108 6 0.0178 3 22
                            109 0 0 0 0

                            .Hope you find this info interesting and relevant. In contrast Manitoba has had much more regular and larger numbers over this interval.

                            Good Birding
                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 20, 2010
                              Hi all,

                              As Bob L. points out, Manitoba seems to get wintering goldfinches a
                              little more regularly and in larger numbers than Saskatchewan does. This is
                              somewhat surprising because it seems to me that in most cases SK gets
                              greater numbers of so-called half-hardy species, at least on a per observer
                              effort basis. Perhaps goldfinches aren't so much half-hardy as much as they
                              are inclined to seek out food sources.

                              It has certainly been an incredible winter for them here. On the
                              Manitoba GBBC, they are outnumbered only by Snow Buntings, Common Redpolls
                              and House Sparrows (and only narrowly by the House Sparrows), with over 1500
                              birds. (Although it should be noted the GBBC does have the potential to
                              inflate numbers by counting all four days of observations.) There have been
                              up to 75 coming to some feeders.

                              I couldn't help but note almost all the goldfinches in Saskatchewan were
                              very close to Manitoba and--at least the last time I checked--there wasn't
                              even one reported in Alberta. So it seems to be very much an eastern
                              prairie phenomenon.

                              Cheers,

                              Rob Parsons
                              Winnipeg, MB
                              CANADA
                              parsons8@...

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 21, 2010
                                All
                                Great discussion Rob!

                                I was very surprised by the numbers of these wintering birds when I researched the Manitoba winter records. The proximity of the recent A.Goldfinch Winter Saskatchewan Records to Manitoba is striking.

                                I also enjoy birding from a regional perspective as apparently you do based upon your contributions here on Saskbirds and elsewhere. I enjoy reading daily the neighboring Canadian and United States bird groups. (I do also read other Canadian and American lists. )This provides an opportunity to gain a better perspective of trends and events, elsewhere and learn from others.

                                The American Goldfinch is a fascinating widespread breeding species which is readily observed in many parts of Saskatchewan and elsewhere. Check this informative link http://birdsbybent.com/ch41-50/goldfinch.html

                                One aspect that is covered in the link is how to locate their nests through a special communication (trilling calls) given by the female on the nest as the approaching male arrives to feed her as she sits up the nest. I have utilised listening for these calls and observing to successfully locate their typically well camouflaged nests in backyard hedges (caragana bushes in particular) and trees. This is another example of the value of reading the classic Bent series which apparently has now been edited and provided free on the web.. These volumes (Bent) are dated in many aspects;however, remain an incredibly rich source of detailed information.

                                Good birding

                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                                  The Goldfinches north of Balcarres that I reported in January hung around until mid-February. The most I counted was 18 at one time and some were at a neighbours feeder about 3 miles way too. They disappeared for the GBBC, but they came back and a few still show up almost every day.
                                • dcco577
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Mar 1, 2010
                                    Well,the Goldfinches showed up 15 minutes after my last post.
                                  • Val T
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 9, 2010
                                      Day two of stay-in-hacking-away. That was okay as we were able to watch now five American Goldfinch, two Downy Woodpeckers and one Hairy on the feeders close to the dining room window.

                                      Val T - McTaggart
                                    • Nick Saunders
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Mar 12, 2013
                                        Good morning all,

                                        This morning, I have a male American Goldfinch at my Niger feeder. This could be the same individual I saw a few weeks ago. Its always a treat to see a Yellow bird at this time of year, even its a dull yellow!

                                        I still have daily visits from at least 4 Flicker's, sometimes all 4 at once , 4-6 Blue Jays, Common Redpolls, and both types of Crossbill were in my White Spruce yesterday afternoon. Its been a great winter for them.

                                        I've also had a Common Raven stop by for a look around , the Sharp-shinned Hawk back at the pond, and as Frank Roy can attest, several hundred Bohemian Waxwings in my backyard last week.

                                        Its nice to walk home from work in the mornings and hear the Chickadees singing and the Nuthatches honking....soon, the sounds of crows and robins will join in with the morning chorus.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Nick

                                        S'toon

                                      • Nick Saunders
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 24, 2013
                                          Greetings folks,

                                          This morning, the wayward American Goldfinch joined the 14 Common, and 1 Hoary Redpolls at the feeders.
                                          This is now the third time I have seen him in the yard.

                                          Yesterday a Merlin shot over the yard.

                                          Cheers,

                                          Nick

                                          S'toon

                                        • Nick Saunders
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 27, 2014
                                            Good morning all,

                                            I just had 3 American Goldfinch stop by the backyard for a drink. These are probably the same one's I've had on and off since November.

                                            I also saw a Magpie take a frozen House Sparrow from the yard,

                                            Cheers,

                                            Nick

                                            S'toon
                                          • Nick Saunders
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 29, 2014
                                              Good morning,

                                              My Goldfinch tally has increased from 2 birds to 6. I'm thinking the others have been close-by, but have stayed relatively hidden from view the last few times I was keeping an eye on the feeders. Either that, or they are visiting another yard with even more shelter and go back and forth between our two yards. Right now, these little guys are enjoying a daily drink from the heated water.

                                              Cheers,

                                              Nick

                                              S'toon