Barred Owl

  • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2001
      The Barred Owl that was poisoned was photographed on the 20th by Kelly Kozij
      by Weyburn's courthouse. At that time it was inordinately tame. Kelly and
      a friend returning to the bird on Sunday the 25th gathered it up and took it
      to the vet. It was put down the next day, Monday 26, 2001.

      A Barred Owl had been seen off and on in and around Weyburn since November
      in the vicinity of the courthouse and the hospital grounds. It is probably
      the same bird that has been seen off and on in north central and the
      northern perimeter of Weyburn since last year.

      Martin Bailey
    • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 3, 2001
        A Barred Owl was sighted a block south of Weyburn's courthouse this past
        Sunday. It was at the courthouse that the poisoned Barred Owl was collected
        on the 24th of March. Hooo knows, they may have been a pair.

        Martin Bailey,
        cmbb@...

        Weyburn, SK., Canada.
        phone/fax 306 842-8936
      • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2001
          The Barred Owl that was picked up here in Weyburn in March with a badly
          corroded beak probably died of inflammation of the mouth according to the
          biopsy done on it at U of S. While the pathologist was not certain of the
          source of the infection, he speculated that a parasite carried by pigeons
          could have been the cause.

          Martin
        • Brenda Schmidt
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 16, 2002
            We went to La Ronge yesterday. Returned today. It was our first trip
            down 165, the grid that connects 106 (the Hanson Lake Road) to 2 (the
            highway into La Ronge), but we'll definitely be heading back down that
            road during breeding season - I expect it will be warbler rich and the
            road has lots of long straight stretches that will make it safe enough
            to pull over.

            Highlight today was very close views of a Barred Owl about 200 metres
            south of Yaholnitski Creek, hunting the ditch from a birch perch at
            10:15 am. We couldn't believe what we were seeing! I still have the
            image of those eyes of coal in my head! The owl was not worried about us
            at all - it was very concerned with what it was hunting. It flew down to
            the ditch once but came up empty-handed. It also flew off briefly when a
            logging truck passed by, but quickly returned to the roadside after
            being harassed by a troop of BC Chickadees.
            Harvey finished off a roll of of film on it and took another complete
            roll and then left it to its business.

            Also along 165:
            Three-toed Woodpecker - Nov 15, one near Wuchewun River
            Black-backed Woodpecker - Nov 16, one near Wuchewun River
            Northern Shrike - Nov 16, one near Wuchewun River
            Northern Goshawk - Nov 16, one near Yaholnitski Creek
            Ruffed Grouse - one on Nov 15 on side of the road, dead one on road in
            same area Nov 16
            Pine Grosbeak - 12
            Common Redpolls - hundreds upon hundreds along the way - incredible in
            itself!

            Along 106:
            Northern Hawk Owl - Nov 15, near 165 junction
            Pileated Woodpecker - Nov 16 near Sturgeon Weir River

            Harvey & Brenda Schmidt
            Creighton, SK
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 16, 2002
              Brenda and Harvey !I'm envious of these sightings !

              I am so impressed with the cordiality, the scope of our coverage and the
              continuous activity of our online birding community !

              Congratulations everyone !

              Great sightings and reports !

              Take care
              Bob Luterbach
              Regina
            • cerdc32
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 23, 2010
                Hi all, have been enjoying a little catching up, sure miss reading about the great sightings.
                Ryan I noticed you don't have a Barred Owl on your list so have to relay this information.
                My cousin was at Good Spirit Lake over the long weekend and got some awesome shots of one. They said it wasn't at all interested in flying away when they were photographing it.
                Nothing much in the MJ area, although our residential neighbourhood Merlin flits around now and then.
                Donna
              • tsb2001@sasktel.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 23, 2010
                  Hi
                  Just checking the "Birds of Yorkton" as I did not think that species has been recorded at this location previously although I could be wrong.. Bill Anaka an author would be a great source.

                  I saw and heard my first Barred Owls at Duck Mountain and that is the location referenced in this book. Among other locations for this species re the Emma and Candle Lake areas. Prince Albert National Park have been good locations for me . I think this night and day hunting species tends to be a permanent resident and usually is very skittish.

                  I know also that birds may wander as I and several others saw a bird in the Regina Cemetery one January a couple of decades ago.

                  Check out this link to hear their calls and learn more. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Barred_Owl/sounds Their raucous calls are impressive.

                  Good birding
                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 23, 2010
                    Yes, they are a wonderful species, and their calls are amazing, and quite varied.
                    I had two excellent encounters with a pair of them, 2 years in a row while staying at Little Amyot Lake near Beaval , SK.

                    As for other news , I saw the adult Sharp-shinned Hawk back at my place no less than four times today, finally catching sight of him one last time through my bathroom window, doing a high fly by of our street around 6:30pm, flap- flap gliding towards Dufferin Avenue.

                    We also had a small flock of Common Redpolls , a couple of Pine Siskin and two Common Ravens in the local vicinity today , plus several House Finch, Red-breasted Nuthatches , Chickadees and the usual House Sparrows.

                    Cheers,

                    Nick

                    Saskatoon