Re: question about Boreal Island

  • Deena McNichol
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Deena McNichol" <doo@...> wrote:

      > Hiya...has anyone ever heard a Vesper Sparrow singing on Boreal
      Island

      OOOPS...FORGOT TO ADD REGINA AFTER MY NAME!
    • Rocky Marchigiano
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
        Hi Deena,
        I can't say as I have ever heard or seen a Vesper in the park.The
        records for the park indicate that they have been seen there in the
        fall.Both Brett and I noted a Song Sparrow has returned to the area in
        the last couple days.The R.N. Grebes have not been seen however.

        Rocky,
        Regina

        > Hiya...has anyone ever heard a Vesper Sparrow singing on Boreal Island
        > this time of year? I was there last evening and the one time I don't
        > have my bins with me, (isn't that the way it goes) I hear a bird that I
        > don't usually...familiar song and it was sitting in plain view on a
        > dead branch of a tree but couldn't ID.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Deena

      • Deena McNichol
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
          thanx Rocky...probably the familiar song was the Song Sparrow and not
          the Vesper ... I'll know what to listen for and I'll have another look
          for the RN Grebes but it sounds like they've moved on which is too
          bad...would have been fun to see the chicks riding on their parent's
          back.
        • Brett Quiring
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2008
            Like Rocky, I do not recall ever seeing a Vesper in the park. It
            might have been the Song I saw this morning, but I will keep my eyes
            open when I am next there you could very well be right.

            By the way Deena welcome to the list. I see you joined a few weeks
            ago and I am glad to see another person birding in AE Wilson. I am
            in the park often so I hope we bump into each other soon.

            In other news I have returned from 10 day trip to Toronto. From a
            birding perspective the trip was not good since I only could bag
            terrible 35 speices. The weather was hot and mugging and I could not
            ever get up early enough when the birds are active. However I saw
            two lifers an Orchard Oriole and Chimney Swift and seeing Cardinals
            is always nice.

            Cheers,
            Brett Quiring
            Regina

            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Rocky Marchigiano" <rebel-xs@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Deena,
            > I can't say as I have ever heard or seen a Vesper in the park.The
            > records for the park indicate that they have been seen there in the
            > fall.Both Brett and I noted a Song Sparrow has returned to the area
            in
            > the last couple days.The R.N. Grebes have not been seen however.
            >

            > Rocky,
            > Regina
            >

            > > Hiya...has anyone ever heard a Vesper Sparrow singing on Boreal
            Island
            > > this time of year? I was there last evening and the one time I
            don't
            > > have my bins with me, (isn't that the way it goes) I hear a bird
            that I
            > > don't usually...familiar song and it was sitting in plain view on
            > > dead branch of a tree but couldn't ID.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > >
            > > Deena

          • Deena McNichol
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2008
              Thanks Brett for the welcome...very much appreciated!
              I too hope to meet you out in A.E. Wilson park one of these days too :O)

              Cheers,

              Deena