Re: [Saskbirds] Black chinned Hummingbird on Catley hill today !

  • Harv & Barb Lane
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 1 4:23 PM
      Hi Rocky,

      When you looked at the Black-chinned Hummingbird, did you see the violet
      throat patch? The Ruby-crowned and Black-chinned are virtually identical in
      size and shape. They can only be distinguished when their gorget is
      illuminated by light. When they gorget is not lit up, they both have a
      black throat.

      If you saw the violet (purple) on the throat, I'd like more details for the
      location. I'm coming to Saskatchewan in a couple of weeks and that would
      bring my Saskatchewan list up to about 333 ... I'd really like that!

      Cheers,
      Harv Lane

      On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Rocky Marchigiano <rebel-xs@...>
      wrote:

      > I just returned from a very remarkable day of birding on the hill today.
      > The first time I stepped out on to Catley Hill I thought it was a
      > pretty magical place.Today I found out just how special it can be.
      >
      > I spotted a male BC Hummingbird perched at the top of dead tree along
      > the roadside.To be perfectly honest I wasn't quite sure what I was
      > seeing.I didn't think it was a Ruby Throated but wasn't exactly
      > sure.Looking at the small LCD screen on my camera can be difficult in
      > bright light.But when I got home and loaded it onto my computer I was
      > pretty overwhelmed to say the least.:)
      >
      > I need to catch a few winks after little sleep and an early morning of
      > birding.I hope to have some pics posted later today.
      >
      > Happy Canada Day folks,
      > Rocky,
      > Regina

    • Rocky Marchigiano
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 1 7:54 PM
        My apologies, I did not know that and my reference book made no
        indication of that fact.I can't say whether there was any violet on
        the throat,I don't recall seeing it.I'll have a good look at the
        photos and see if that reveals anything.

        Rocky

        --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Harv & Barb Lane" <harv.lane@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Rocky,
        >
        > When you looked at the Black-chinned Hummingbird, did you see the violet
        > throat patch? The Ruby-crowned and Black-chinned are virtually
        identical in
        > size and shape. They can only be distinguished when their gorget is
        > illuminated by light. When they gorget is not lit up, they both have a
        > black throat.
        >
        > If you saw the violet (purple) on the throat, I'd like more details
        for the
        > location. I'm coming to Saskatchewan in a couple of weeks and that
        would
        > bring my Saskatchewan list up to about 333 ... I'd really like that!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Harv Lane
        >
        > On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Rocky Marchigiano <rebel-xs@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > I just returned from a very remarkable day of birding on the
        hill today.
        > > The first time I stepped out on to Catley Hill I thought it was a
        > > pretty magical place.Today I found out just how special it can be.
        > >
        > > I spotted a male BC Hummingbird perched at the top of dead tree along
        > > the roadside.To be perfectly honest I wasn't quite sure what I was
        > > seeing.I didn't think it was a Ruby Throated but wasn't exactly
        > > sure.Looking at the small LCD screen on my camera can be difficult in
        > > bright light.But when I got home and loaded it onto my computer I was
        > > pretty overwhelmed to say the least.:)
        > >
        > > I need to catch a few winks after little sleep and an early morning of
        > > birding.I hope to have some pics posted later today.
        > >
        > > Happy Canada Day folks,
        > > Rocky,
        > > Regina

      • Rocky Marchigiano
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 2 1:44 AM
          After assessing the photos I came to the conclusion that this is most
          likely a Ruby Throated Hummingbird.I'm blaming my Birding guide for a
          very relevant omittance rather than my own incompetence on this
          occassion.:)
          Sorry for the hype and disappointment,hope no one booked their trip to
          Catley yet.I will report back tomorrow with some of the other
          misadventures on the day.

          Rocky,
          Regina
        • Scott Wilson
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 2 8:08 AM
            Hi,
            On Monday an Eared grebe colony suddenly appeared in Wascana Lake about half
            way between the Centre of the Arts and the university. There were 26 nests,
            one with three eggs. It's always entertaining to watch the ongoing
            construction, maintenance, and discussions.

            Last night near Kronau I came across a group of three Loggerhead shrikes. I
            don't see these often, and a group was a first for me.

            Good birding!

            Scott
          • Val
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 2 8:52 AM
              Hey Rocky - We all enjoy your postings and photos so much. No sweat on
              something we all do (ie 24 Common Loons I reported aka DC Cormorants
              lol). And understandably yours was a hard one to call. You know what,
              your double-checking is what will be so much appreciated :-). I just
              got in from two hours on the lawn mower which is my small contribution
              towards what Doyle does. It's wonderful to contemplate and enjoy while
              riding around. My first enjoyment though was going into the quonset
              and seeing four young Barn Swallow heads sticking out of a nest. Other
              birds aren't too happy to see the mower coming, for example the
              Killdeer who are still doing their broken-wing act to protect their
              young. I wonder how long it takes for those little ones to start
              flying as it seems they've been running around here for weeks. We have
              the body of a small weasel on the lawn - no head left on it. The young
              birds we note being fed are Barn Swallows, Cowbirds, Rock Pigeons,
              American Robins, Brown Thrashers, Mourning Doves, Common Grackles, Red-
              winged Blackbirds, Brewer's Blackbirds and House Sparrows. I think
              Tree Swallows will soon be poking out their heads. Probably the young
              Purple Martins are hatching as the adults sure are alarmed when
              cutting under the houses. We haven't seen young ones in other yard
              species yet. Beautiful day out and it makes one so thankful to be
              around to enjoy everything.

              Val T - McTaggart

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Rocky Marchigiano" <rebel-xs@...>
              wrote:

              > After assessing the photos I came to the conclusion that this is most
              > likely a Ruby Throated Hummingbird.I'm blaming my Birding guide for a
              > very relevant omittance rather than my own incompetence on this
              > occassion.:)
              > Sorry for the hype and disappointment,hope no one booked their trip
              > Catley yet.I will report back tomorrow with some of the other
              > misadventures on the day.
              >

              > Rocky,
              > Regina

            • Rocky Marchigiano
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 2 9:19 AM
                Thanks for that Val,appreciated.I have already posted most of the
                photos from my trip on my Flickr page if you want to have a looksee.

                Rocky

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 2 9:39 AM
                  'Hummingbirds of North America' by Sheri Williamson (Peterson Series) mentions that the male Black-chinned Hummingbird's ..".gorget is mostly velvet black with a seldom visible band of metallic amethyst violet at bottom.....p. 62" Herein lies the challenge as this the most critical field mark may not be easily seen. As mentioned by Harv, the Ruby-throated, and several other species, typically have a black/dark gorget unless the light conditions reveal another typically diagnostic color.

                  There have been several reports of Black-chinned Hummingbirds in Saskatchewan including one very recently in Regina. I am uncertain if a Black-chinned Hummer has ever been conclusively documented in Saskatchewan with a diagnostic photograph.

                  The guides suggest as well a behavioral cue in addition to the gorget. Note the pronounced "tail wagging" of the Black-chinned Hummingbird as it hovers at a feeder or at blossoms.

                  Range can be an important consideration; however, birds do stray and most anything can occur at almost any location. The normal range for the Black-chinned Hummingbird, in Canada, which the new Smithsonian Guide suggests "is the western counterpart of the Ruby-throated Hummer", is within the Okanogan/Okanagan although several have been reported in the Waterton National Park in the Southern Alberta Rocky Mountains.

                  This is great time to haul out those guides and put up those feeders. Trevor mentioned today of a Selasphorus hummingbird from Beauval that is perhaps very probably a Rufous. This one can be difficult to differentiate from a 'possible' stray Allen's. Check your guides.

                  Other species to watch perhaps, although not necessarily, in Southwestern Saskatchewan could include the Calliope or Broad-tailed Hummingbird although the Rufous would probably be by far the most likely stray. There is only one Provincial specimen for the Calliope and none for the Broad-tailed to my knowledge. I do not recall learning of any photographs as well. Note the very pronounced distinctive 'sound' created by the notched primaries of the male Broad-tailed Hummingbird.

                  Saskatchewan already has one documented photo record of the mostly non-migratory Anna's Hummingbird. There is another record from Raymore that may, or may not, be supported by an image as well. Check its typical breeding range

                  Females of any species of course is much more challenging so obtain photos of all questionable hummers if possible and make careful notes.

                  .

                  One of the great aspects of these forums is that we can all learn from and with each other. There is just so much to assimilate and consider. However, birding would probably get boring if we could easily master it all, no need to worry about that as much is still unknown regarding many common species.

                  Good Birding

                  .

                  wrote:

                  > I just returned from a very remarkable day of birding on the hill today.
                  > The first time I stepped out on to Catley Hill I thought it was a
                  > pretty magical place.Today I found out just how special it can be.
                  >
                  > I spotted a male BC Hummingbird perched at the top of dead tree along
                  > the roadside.To be perfectly honest I wasn't quite sure what I was
                  > seeing.I didn't think it was a Ruby Throated but wasn't exactly
                  > sure.Looking at the small LCD screen on my camera can be difficult in
                  > bright light.But when I got home and loaded it onto my computer I was
                  > pretty overwhelmed to say the least.:)
                  >
                  > I need to catch a few winks after little sleep and an early morning of
                  > birding.I hope to have some pics posted later today.
                  >
                  > Happy Canada Day folks,
                  > Rocky,
                  > Regina

                • Rocky Marchigiano
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 2 11:31 AM
                    There is an image now on my site if any of you wish to assess it further.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/24244985@N07/2631061453/

                    Rocky
                  • Nick Saunders
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 2 11:40 AM
                      This is great time to haul out those guides and put up those feeders.
                      Trevor
                      mentioned today of a Selasphorus hummingbird from Beauval that is
                      perhaps very
                      probably a Rufous. This one can be difficult to differentiate from a
                      'possible'
                      stray Allen's. Check your guides.

                      Thanks for the heads up Bob. I'll be staying at Beauval for a few days
                      so will keep my eyes peeled :-)

                      Take care,

                      Nick

                      Saskatoon

                      Small update before I leave : http://saskbirder.blogspot.com/
                    • Jim Nordquist
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 2 1:09 PM
                        that's one nice pic!--Original Message Text---
                        From: Rocky Marchigiano
                        Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 18:31:28 -0000

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 2 2:25 PM
                          Scott
                          Perhaps we can meet at Kronau and I can trade you an Orchard Oriole or two for a Loggerhead Shrike. :-)

                          Take care
                          Bob

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 2 2:42 PM
                            Sounds good! Seems like I need to start looking before 8 pm.

                            BTW the grebe nests numbered 41 today, up from 26 two days ago.

                            There was one very pale Eared grebe with nearly white plumage where the
                            others had gold. Looked like the winter plumage shown in my National
                            Geographic guide, but it had ears, which were also very pale.

                            Scott

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 2 5:32 PM
                              Nick
                              I think the name of the person who reported the Selasphorus Hummer is Rick Anderson. I am unable to confirm that because Trevor is away at his cabin and cannot be reached.

                              Take care
                              Bob

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 2 8:36 PM
                                There has been a black chinned hummingbird seen in Nipawin as well.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 3 10:48 PM
                                  JB
                                  Have you any more details about this Nipawin sighting?
                                  Good Birding