Consul area

  • johnnyp19692003
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2008
      Spent today in the Consul area on my first day in Sask as I head
      across to Manitoba. Highlights of the day included several Mccown's
      longspurs, a golden eagle, and a ridiculous number of ferruginous
      hawks and northern harriers (final tallies for the day were 23 and 21,
      including two ferruginous nests with four chicks each, one of the
      nests was only a foot off the ground!).

      Saw lots of birds like chestnut-collared longspurs and horned larks
      and western meadowlarks in high numbers as well. Other interesting
      sightings: 1 american avocet, 2 willets, 1 marbled godwit, 1 great
      blue heron, 2 western kingbirds, and 2 badgers.

      John
      Canmore, Alberta
    • BAILEY & BJORKLUND
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2008
        > including two ferruginous nests with four chicks each, one of the
        > nests was only a foot off the ground!).
        >
        > John
        > Canmore, Alberta

        Ferruginous Hawk do nest on the ground. Particularly, where there are hills
        and cliffs.
        Four chicks in a nest is a good number no doubt signifying a good food
        supply.

        Martin