The Saskatoon Weir(?)

  • Harv Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20 3:18 PM
      Howdy,

      I was downtown after school today and decided to drive home via the
      river and the weir (is that how you spell it?) in particular. Along the
      river I saw between 50 and 100 Canada Geese paired up and splashing
      around or settled on nesting mounds. It was rush hour and the streets
      were packed so I couldn't stop and count like I wanted to. I didn't see
      any other duck species and the gulls I was hoping to find didn't
      materialize either. I did see some very light coloured Rock Doves on
      the ice below the train bridge but the light was too good and I wasn't
      able to imagine them into gulls! A few Magpies and Chickadees in the
      area made for some interesting listening. The afternoon was saved by a
      mammal sighting on the apron below the weir ... a mink ran out on the
      apron about 15m below the weir, dove into the swirling waters and
      returned with a small fish about a minute later. It ran up the apron
      and under some large pieces of ice to devour the meal. I do not know my
      mammals so I make the mink identification based on the size (aren't
      martens and fishers pretty big) about the same as mink I've seen in
      captivity or on rare occasions with people who think they know which is
      which. In any event, it was pretty cool to see this character slide
      into the water and disappear under the rolling boiling water beneath the
      falls. I was quite disappointed to find that the Dippers have not
      returned to Saskatoon, yet!!! I'm not sure what they are building on
      the apron of the weir but it sort of looks like stadium seating ... a
      great idea, so that us birders can sit right at the weir and look for
      birds.

      Nice to hear from the people down south that birds are actually coming
      this way ... I'm waiting!

      Cheers,
      Harv