Friday around Estevan

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
      Morning Birders:

      We had a little 'special event' down this way yesterday afternoon. My friend Barry and I met up with Saskbirders Steven W. and Bob L. and visited an elderly lady who has the great fortune to live on one fantastic piece of property. Her home overlooks the valley below the Boundary Dam spillway. Unfortunately, the Dutch Elm has destroyed the big trees, as it has everywhere else along the rivers and streams in this area.

      The main purpose of the visit was to see the wild turkeys that lurk around the yard pretty well all day, apparently. Talk about well fed birds....hmmmm. Steven and I were both thinking about Christmas and Thanksgiving for some reason.

      In addition to the turkeys, 3-4 white-tailed deer wandered into the yard, overcame some skittishness, and nibbled up the grain. These are also regular visitors

      Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers; Black-capped Chickadees and White-breasted Nuthatches, with a fly-by of a Black-billed Magpie and Ring-neck Pheasant rounded out the viewing.

      Nice to spent a litte time with Steven and Bob. Did either of You happen to see the bird that briefly sat on a post - as we were driving out? I didn't get a chance to raise the binocs. Anyway, I hope the drive back to Regina wasn't as icy as the morning skate down.

      Kathy in Estevan

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
        Kathy
        Thanks again for the hospitality. It's always great to meet you again and finally Barry. We also appreciated the tea/coffee and meeting our host. The birding was fun and the weather was excellent as well. It was nearly twice as cold at Regina yesterday with -7 for a high with a nasty wind.

        No, we didn't get a diagnostic look at that bird prior to it flying. We as planned stopped at Barry's place and saw a Pine Siskin, a single Mourning Dove among the several Dark-eyed Juncos, Ring-necked Pheasants, White-breasted Nuthatches and usual Woodpeckers.We saw a Merlin just out of Estevan plus again saw the incredible herd of Pronghorn ,the Snowy Owls and a few Ravens. The Horned Larks was scattered along roadside and in the fields. I suspect that Steven will post a list from the trip as he recorded the species and numbers.

        The roads back to Regina were excellent until we arrived again at Corrine. By the time we got to here the southeast winds were gusting and snow pack and ice were again on highway # 39. We saw only one snow plow during the day and marvel that apparently nobody was killed here, yesterday.

        Take care
        Bob
        Regina.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2008
          Hey Kathy, Bob and Steven, great sightings for all of you! Glad
          everyone arrived back safely as Doyle and I were on that horrible
          stretch of highway also. There are lots of ring-necked pheasants and
          Sharp-tailed Grouse down by Tribune/Bromhead if anyone is down that
          way. We had a little trip down memory lane with Guy and Sandra,
          Kathy and their relatives from a jaunt Doyle and I took last month
          in this yard where they train hunting dogs in the summer. The
          pheasants and sharp-tailed grouse made an appearance for Doyle and I
          and we hear they have been around here for 50 years or more (not the
          same ones :-)) and in the early years were raised in the area. Good
          luck in your photo quests Dee!

          Val T - McTaggart

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Hedegard" <hedegardk@...>