Smoke on the water

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
      I stopped by Boundary reservoir this afternoon to see what waterfowl might be congregated. The mist rising was so thick I couldn't see anything on the near shore let alone across to the far one. I could hear large numbers of geese and saw many flocks flying.

      We have quite a number of Snow Buntings in this area now. The flocks are getting larger, averaging 50-75 birds, perhaps more. Last week I mainly saw small groups of less than 10 birds.

      Other birds: Ring-necked Pheasants and Sharp-tailed grouse

      In my backyard:

      EC Doves, N. Flicker (YS), Common Grackles, House Finch, House Sparrows, WB Nuthatch

      Kathy in Estevan

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
        Kathy
        I noted some Canada Geese heading southeast, yesterday. I think some of the Regina population winters there each year depending upon the snow conditions in the nearby fields. I hope a Gyrfalcon shows up as well. With warmer weather arriving on Tuesday perhaps the viewing will improve. I've been there when the viewing is very poor indeed.

        Another winter water body of interest is the Poplar Reservoir near Coronach. It is a fairly distant location though about the same from Regina as Estevan. Given the road conditions from here, we prefer to go to Gardiner Dam instead as both are about the same distance.

        Good Birding

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 29, 2007
          And speaking of which, there is a Saskatoon Nature Society field trip
          to Gardiner Dam on December 01 (Saturday). Led by Frank Roy, this
          trip is always exciting, with not only great possibilities awaiting
          the hardy (and I do mean hardy!) birder, but also a chance to boost
          one's winter list on the first weekend of December.

          Everyone is welcome, but dress warmly as this trip is not for the
          feint of heart! Whew- whoever may have said that we birders are not
          tough have not been birding near a water body on a cold, windy winter day.

          Info: See the SNS web site for more details:
          http://www.saskatoonnaturesociety.sk.ca/trips.html

          Cheers,
          Ryan D.
          Saskatoon

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@...> wrote:

          > Another winter water body of interest is the Poplar Reservoir near
          Coronach. It is a fairly distant location though about the same from
          Regina as Estevan. Given the road conditions from here, we prefer to
          go to Gardiner Dam instead as both are about the same distance.

          > Good Birding
          > Bob L
          > Regina
        • Nick
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
            As long as we get a White-phase Gyrfalcon clutching a King Eider in
            its talons I'll soon forget how cold it is :-) It was certainly chilly
            out there last year ...

            Cheers

            Nick
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
              Hey Nick just make sure that you saw the Eider flying before being
              nabbed....gotta get that tick eh :-)

              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Nick" <nikovich71@...> wrote:

              > As long as we get a White-phase Gyrfalcon clutching a King Eider in
              > its talons I'll soon forget how cold it is :-) It was certainly
              chilly
              > out there last year ...
              >
              > Cheers
              >
              > Nick

            • Nick
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 30, 2007
                If it's twitching does it still count ? :-)

                Anyways, I'm off to bed - its an early-ish start tomorrow.

                Cheers

                Nick