Green Sunday

  • Kathy Hedegard
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
      Morning Birders

      Due to a series of fortunate events, I�ve shaken off the shroud of silence (well, Saskbird silence anyway)

      Last Wednesday night I attended the Weyburn Nature Society meeting. Graham from the Burrowing Owl Centre did a terrific presentation and the highlight of the evening was to meet Sanders, the BUOW Jared imprinted and raised. Such a nice little owl, You were a great dad, Jared. I even got to have Sanders perch on my hand for a little while.

      The following day, Val and I went to Regina Beach in search of rare migrants. We managed to get a bit of miscommunication going with Bob L. almost right away. But we found Trestle Bay on our own eventually, and eureka! also Bob L. and Steven Weir. It was great to finally meet both these gentlemen. Bob took us back to find the Harlequin Duck. Steven stayed (in the bitter cold wind) to scope the rafts of birds for the Murrelet but the alcid was a not-seen item that day. There were Surf Scoters (7 of 'em) though.

      Both the Harlequin Duck and Surf Scoters were Sask Firsts for me. I had seen a Harlequin in my pre-listing days - another province, another lifetime. Great Day!

      While I haven�t been posting lately, I HAVE been out birding, especially scouting the reservoirs around Estevan. I spent all day yesterday cruising a 100-km area west of town. It was a good day for raptors.

      2 Rough-legged Hawks

      4 Bald Eagles (2 adults near Mainprize. 2 juveniles were near Boundary)

      1 Golden Eagle (Long Creek NE of Oungre)

      2 Snowy Owls (both white)

      3 Sharp-tailed grouse (flushed and one just missed by the GO EA)

      10-15 Ring-Necked Pheasants

      100s Rock Pigeons

      35-40 Snow Buntings

      3 Common Mergansers (Rafferty Dam)

      1 Ring-billed Gull (juv)

      25-30 American Coots

      1 Tundra Swan (Boundary)

      10-15 Lesser Scaups (Rafferty/Mainprize)

      5 Redheads (R/M)

      500+ Common Goldeneye

      1000s of Mallards (I have never seen so many - huge rafts of them at Boundary)

      200-300K Canada Geese

      Cackling Geese - many. I estimate 0.5% of the current CA GO flocks are Cacklings

      Snow Geese - small scattered flocks, the great masses have passed on southward

      Kathy in Estevan

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2007
        Hi Kathy