Northern Goshawk at Trestle Bay this afternoon

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2007
      Steven Weir and I searched the Trestle Bay Area again this afternoon for the
      Ancient Murrelet. We did not see the bird. Viewing conditions were only fair
      because of the wind and related wave action. Instead of the winds abating as
      forecast they actually increased about mid-afternoon. We did have a shorter
      interval just after we arrived when viewing conditions were better. My sense
      is that this bird may have moved north up the Lake closer to Pelican Point
      or to the large bay near Keddleston Beach. Of course it is possible that the
      bird left the are or succumbed to the -15 C temps that first night. One has
      to wonder how adapted this bird is to this type of weather.

      As we arrived and took up our watch at the Trestle Bay Overlook, a first
      fall Northern Goshawk crossed over below us flying low from the Little Arm
      area and flew up the slope passing low directly over our heads.

      The edge of the ice did not move much farther west from its location of
      yesterday. The juvenile Harlequin Duck was also in the same bay where it was
      seen yesterday. It flushed with a flock of American Goldeneye later and was
      seen in the extreme east of the Greater Trestle Bay. It was foraging with
      some success very close inshore at both locations. We again dipped on the
      1st fall Barrow's Goldeneye despite scanning several 10 Common Goldeneyes.
      There is a large group now remaining at Pelican Point. I hope to check that
      group tomorrow.

      Steven counted 70+ Common Mergansers moving in a single flock well offshore
      near the extreme west of Kinookimaw.

      The other species were pretty much the same as yesterday except perhaps
      fewer scaups.

      Just wish to comment how much I enjoyed birding with the group yesterday to
      echo Steven's post. It was great to share portions of the afternoon with
      Steven, Dan, Steven, Val and finally meet Kathy. These are very cordial
      people and fine birders.

      Good Birding
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2007
        All
        I neglected to mention Phil Taylor as one of the group members, yesterday. I very much appreciated our discussions and his sharp eyes. I apologize for my oversight.
        Good Birding
        Bob