Last Mountain Lake Birding (Regina Beach, Lumsden Beach and Buena Vista)

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2007
      I have been mostly checking the Lumsden Beach and Buena Vista areas over the
      last two mornings. I have not seen the juvenile Red-throated Loon either
      day.

      This morning, I again scoped an adult Ferruginous Hawk perched on a roadside
      power pole along # 54 across from the Hobby Farm with the exotic species
      including the Llamas, Alpacas and a few Bison. Yesterday, I also saw a bird
      near noon a km farther south. (I saw one earlier here on September 20.) This
      location appears to be a favorite since I have had other sightings here over
      the years. The adjacent overgrazed pasture usually has a few active
      Richardson's Ground Squirrels later into fall. I saw several there
      yesterday. As mentioned previously, there is much native prairie to the west
      of this location extending towards the Arm River Valley and west towards
      Dilke. This species apparently continues to have a remnant population in
      this location. An abandoned nest is just over a mile directly east.

      Other species noted today includes a large movement of 500+ Franklin's
      Gulls. Three adult Herring Gulls were just offshore at Lumsden Beach
      attempting to open a carcass of a large fish.

      I saw 3 Common Loons today and 5 yesterday.

      300+ D.c. Cormorants were foraging en masse with gulls flying over them at
      Buena Vista.

      Common Goldeneyes are building in numbers. Today, I counted 27. Buffleheads
      and Hooded Mergansers are also slowly increasing as well as scaup species.
      Ruddy Ducks seem fewer. Gadwalls and American Wigeons are increasing near
      Lumsden Beach.

      I saw a female/immature White-winged Scoter and 7+ immature /female Surf
      Scoters on both days. The White-winged Scoter is usually just offshore at
      Lumsden Beach. The Surf's are scattered along the Lake from Buena Vista to
      Lumsden Beach in several smaller groups.

      I saw 3 Red-tailed Hawks today and 6 yesterday.

      Harris' Sparrows ,Dark-eyed Juncos, Tree Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers,
      American Robins and Cedar Waxwings were seen both days. A female Belted
      Kingfisher continues at Lumsden Beach. An American Goldfinch flew over today
      as did several smaller groups of Lapland Longspurs.

      Good Birding