Crossbill / Magpie Hybrid

  • Nick
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      No, not really - but definately a crossbilled Magpie !

      This is one of four Magpies that have been visiting the Yard since
      last week . I wonder how he managed to do that ?

      http://tinyurl.com/3c59oc

      Cheers

      Nick

      Saskatoon
    • Robert Johanson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        >No, not really - but definately a crossbilled Magpie !
        >
        >This is one of four Magpies that have been visiting the Yard since
        >last week . I wonder how he managed to do that ?
        >
        >http://tinyurl.com/3c59oc
        >
        >Cheers
        >
        >Nick
        >
        >Saskatoon

        In the current issue of Birding (the magazine published by the ABA)
        there is an article about bill deformations which include crossed as
        well as excessively long mandibles. The photographs of Black-capped
        Chickadees from Alaska are quite amazing---the poor things have bills
        3-4 cm long. The problems are attributed in part to a diet lacking
        essential nutrients.

        Robert Johanson
        Saskatoon
      • Nick
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy of that magazine .
          The article sounds fascinating , but at the same time , unfortunate
          for the birds..

          Nick