Saskatoon to Outlook

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2007
      hello all.

      This morning I needed to go to Outlook to dispute a speeding ticket,
      and for such a quick trip I had a pretty good morning.

      Snow Geese numbers were impressive with 300,000+ seen with the
      majority around Hanley Road on Highway 15, also present were good
      numbers of White-fronts, and a handful of Ross's Geese. Also noted in
      many locations but mostly close to Outlook were Sandhill Cranes with
      about 5000 birds seen throughout the trip. Also noted were a single
      Turkey vulture, 8 Red-tailed Hawk, 1 Rough-leeged Hawk, 3 Swainson's
      Hawk and 3 Northern Harrier. I found 3 Barn Swallows near Outlook, a
      single Western Meadowlark, as well as a Killdeer near Blackstrap, and
      3 Greater Yellowlegs near Outlook. In total I had 26 species.

      PS hey Nick as for the speeding ticket...I won

      Greg
    • Jared Clarke
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2007
        Hey Greg,

        Thanks for the prompt.
        While I don't have any comments on the Robin or Crow issue, I will comment on the raptors.

        This summer while out at the Burrowing Owl Centre in Moose Jaw, a juvenile Merlin was brought into us, apparently having been hit by a car. We intended to hold on to the bird for a few days, as the injury appeared to be a bruised wing.
        Later that day the bird died.

        We sent it to the Wildlife Health Centre in Saskatoon and the bird tested positive for West Nile. We were informed that the Health Centre had also received 14 other dead Merlins this summer, all testing positive for the disease. We were also informed that Great Grey Owls appear to be being heavily affected by this disease as well, although I didn't acquire any numbers for that species.

        Interestingly, Bob Ewart had a juvy Merlin, brought in at Wascana Park the day before I received the Merlin in Moose Jaw. It too died later that day, but Bob did not have that one tested, however, Bob mentioned the birds shared similiar behaviour.

        Swainson's Hawks also seemed to have a rough summer as far as fledging chicks, and some banders here in SK believe West Nile was playing a big part in that. I had 6 out of 9 of the nests right around Regina failed this year. I'm not suggesting they were all WNV but just demonstrating the bad year.

        For those who don't know, signs that a bird is contracted WNV and not doing well:
        - it's rather tame, allowing people to get quite close to it
        - it seems off balance or wobbly. The birds are usually on the ground.
        - right before it dies, the birds I've had experience with, will seizure rather intensely

        The above signs of the disease are my own personal observations, that I have witnessed after handling a few birds with WNV, but I have talked with a few vets and they agree with these symptoms.

        It will be interesting to see how the WNV will affect raptors and birds in general next year.

        Surprisingly, I have remained West Nile free this summer!
        Jared

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14, 2007
          thank you for this, as I believe that this West Nile outbreak should
          be included in the fall migration report.

          As I stated earlier Saskatchewan will have over 1,000 human cases
          and, I beleive ~30+ cases of the severe nerological strain, and 3
          human deaths in which West Nile is believed to have been a
          contributing factor.

          One article I found states that Crows, among the hardest-hit species
          overall, show declines up to 45% in the mid-Atlantic, but "some
          sites in Maryland had declines closer to 85% while other areas in
          the same state had none at all.

          While another article notes that Blue Jays and House Wrens, "which
          suffered declines, had returned to their pre-West Nile virus
          populations by 2005." In addition American Crow, Tufted Titmouse,
          American robin, Chickadee and Eastern bluebird were hit hard enough
          to be scientifically significant.

          One of the continent wide counts in Feb every year (Great Backyard
          Bird Count) will also provide some important population data. This
          recent frost would have eliminated many of the mosquitos out there,
          but warm weather in the coming day may provide some more biting time
          for the survivors.

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Jared Clarke <clarkejared16@...>