birds

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2007
      as of today, September 11th, there have been the flury of sparrows in
      and around our feeders and in the water. Getting in there last go
      around at the bathing.
      I was painting over at my mother's in Kindersley today and she had
      about 40 black birds all in the back yard around the feeders, heard a
      hawk calling out overhead. There has been the odd finch around but
      nothing to speak about.
    • Schopff
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 18, 2007
        Hello and Merry Christmas
        There are reports around Kindersley of a big ( we think Horned Owl). He
        had been seen in my friends trees as well as my mother's yard and
        another person I talked to today.
        My friend told me that she had three Blue Jays feeding and they were
        putting up such a racket about him been there. He did not touch them
        but sat in her tree from 8:30a.m to noon.
        My question is, can they pick up a small dog or cat and would they have
        killed the Blue Jay if they had only been one?
        Just curious about these magnificant birds.
        Cheryl
      • Dale Schopff
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 6, 2008
          Hello Everyone
          Hope you had a great summer, ours was a busy one
          Anyway I am back, and here is what I have been observing in our Kindersley Back Yard
          2 Mourning Doves ( there were 3 but I found one dead just as if it had sat down and died, so I hope no one is poisening them)
          8 Blackbirds
          40 Sparrows
          10 Finches
          1 or 2 Blue Jays
          1 lone Woodpecker of some sort ( I don't have him in our bird book), but he has a black ring under his neck, quite a big fellow, with a white patch on his back..........and drills every day for ants in our lawn.
          Thats all I have for now.
          Take care
          Cheryl
        • Dale Schopff
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2008
            GGood Morning all
            I Have had many a bird, especially the Black Bird............at least 50 or more surrounding our feeders every morning, then
            ththeres the 2 Blue Jays that feed regularly, amidst the many Sparrows. I had 2 Mourning Doves but have not seen them for a few days.
            Hope all is well with them.
            Cheryl from Kindersley
          • Dale Schopff
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 1, 2008
              Good afternoon all
              This week here in Kindersley, seen the pair of Blue Jays continually feeding at our feeders in the backyard. They also have been visiting my mother's yard across town.
              I love watching them as they take some of the food and stash it in the fir tree of ours in the front.
              We also have about 40 to 50 sparrows, one or two Magpies.
              Have not heard the geese for about a week, so maybe they have departed.
              Cheryl
            • Dale Schopff
              Message 6 of 8 , May 30, 2009
                Hi
                Had to share this with you.
                My daughter called from Lloydminster today and she has a Red Cardinal in her yard.....eating and taking on water......she has had him for about 3 days. Is that unusual to have them there in that part?
                We have the tree swallows still, the Bohemian Waxwings are around today, also cowbirds which I am not thrilled about, as I was told that they lay their eggs in another birds nest and then get them to raise them.
                Say does anyone know what to do with a little bird that has got blown out of its nest that only has some feathers..........my daughter can't find the nest.........let nature take its course...............one feels so helpless at times like that...........
                Thanks
                cheryl, Kindersley, Sk
              • tsb2001@sasktel.net
                Message 7 of 8 , May 31, 2009
                  Cheryl
                  It is somewhat unusual to have a Northern Cardinal in the Province although this perhaps seems less so recently. The Cardinal is not a migrant instead more a pioneering species which attempts to become a permanent resident. If a female is not in the area the male will typically after a time wander in search of a mate too often without results. In the meantime, she may wish to perhaps obtain a photo to fully document it although if the crest and dark facial area in addition to other field marks is seen it is rather conclusive.

                  Finding a young bird is a dilemma for us all. Nature is not that kind in many situations and allowing it to meet its fate is often all we can do.

                  Good Birding
                  Bob

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 31, 2009
                    I will mention to my daughter about taking a picture.........she said it had the crested tuff on the top of its head and thick bill....she said it looked similar to a Blue Jay except all red................if that helps.